Saturday, January 6, 2024

January 6 - “Meanwhile”


Our lights went out three times yesterday morning around 7 am. I had been up since around four, so I got to experience the incredibly heavy thunderstorms in real time. Oh, and I wasn’t alone. Freddy was either in my lap or nestled comfortably on the floor under my desk. The blackout only lasted five or ten minutes, but Freddy was sure antsy the whole time. 


It continued to rain off and on all morning, but Chris braved the elements and went up to the church to help take down Christmas decorations, even after we got word that the power was out at the church.  Brave soul. 


Meanwhile, I got a phone call from the neurosurgeon’s office asking if I could be there at two rather than my scheduled time at 3:45. Big change. We jumped at the chance. 


Meanwhile, the power went out at the house again. This one lasted longer, though. In fact Centerpoint, the power company, called to let us know an ETR(estimated time of restoration).  About 8 minutes away. No problem. We had a very quick lunch and got ready to leave for my appointment. 


Meanwhile, things weren’t going so well for Centerpoint. The computer called yet again to tell us that repairs were taking longer than expected. New ETR - 4:45. About 4 hours now. More what I expected. 


Meanwhile, we still headed into Texas. We arrived about thirty minutes early for the appointment, but they called us back almost immediately. The nurse came in first with the basic questions. You know, “on a scale of 1 to 10, how is your pain?”  


Next came the physician assistant (or maybe she’s a nurse practitioner). I like her a lot. She went a little deeper, asking about the shingles and making sure I had all the medicine I needed. She also took a look at the incision site. Said it looked great. Woohoo!  


Finally the doc himself came in. He felt like the pain I’m still having is residual from the whole surgery/shingles combination, and it will eventually go away, with the meds helping in the meantime. He affirmed everything the PA had said, and added that I could go ahead and slowly take on more and more activities while reducing the restrictions. All in all, he was very pleased with how things turned out. Very good news. 


Meanwhile, Sam texted to let us know the power was back on …. With two hours to spare.


Meanwhile, we stopped at Walmart to get some batteries and bananas for us and meds and ice cream for Sam. And from there we zipped across 61st street and picked up a pizza for supper. Whew. Long day, for sure. 


Romans‬ ‭12‬:‭2‬ says, Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.


Father, thanks for some good news. I never turn that down. Amen. 

No comments: