Monday, January 1, 2024

January 1 - “Happy New year!”


We headed for church a little early yesterday. I had the exciting responsibility of acting as MC of the worship service, since Pastor Kel was not going to be there. It also meant I could pull out a Visual Verse to challenge the new folks we’ve been seeing lately. I always enjoy doing those. All in all, I had fun. The crowd was low, but they sure got into the singing. Nice job, Greg and the praise team. The guy who preached did a great job, too. I guess I wasn’t alone in a great experience of praise and worship and call to commitment. 


We had time to swing by the house for a little bit of lunch before heading into Texas for a holiday party with my brothers and their families. I learned the “official” distinction between a Yankee Swap and a White Elephant Party. For the Yankee thing, you bring a gift that is actually a very nice thing to have. A White Elephant, on the other hand, can be something nice, or it can be something you already have in your house that you wish you didn’t. Never knew that. Chris ended up with some high end chocolates, and I came home with an inflatable knee and/or ankle elevation apparatus. I think they felt sorry for the back surgery guy. No one attempted to steal it from me. 


Last night we watched a few movies and listened to fireworks going off all around us. Chris talked me into letting Freddy sleep in our bed, since she was obviously disturbed by the noise. Don’t get used to it, Freddy. 


Ecclesiastes‬ ‭3‬:‭11‬ says, He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man’s heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.


Father, thanks for my families. The ones I grew up with, the ones you blessed me with (Chris and our kids and our grandkids), and our church family as well. All are special to us. Amen. 

No comments: