Thursday, January 18, 2024

January 18 - “Root Canal Day”


 Well, I had a brand new experience yesterday. After all

these 70+ years, I had my very first root canal. Why? Another of those pesky fillings from long ago fell out. Well, OK. I’ll confess. It was actually a temporary filling from just a few years ago that was waiting patiently for me to get around to replacing it with a crown. (Psst. I’m thinking of trying for a new record of waiting to do a crown, but don’t tell Chris). 


The filling fell out a week or so before my back surgery. Who wants to deal with an errant tooth when you’re already worrying about major back surgery? When I finally got around to it, my dentist took one look and sent me on to the Big Boys … the teleodentist. Actually, that’s just the educated pastor way of saying “Endodontist.” (I think) 


Anyway, he was a really nice guy. Very calm, yet obviously assured of himself. He explained exactly what he was going to do before he did it. Then afterwards he explained in detail what was showing on the new x-ray they took. 


Oh. What did he do?  OK. First came the topical anesthetic to prevent the big shot to come from hurting. Then came said shot to deaden the area even more. Next he scraped and chiseled and drilled out the four root nerves to get rid of any accumulated decay. Finally he installed a temporary filling until I can get back to my dentist in a couple of weeks to have her put in a more permanent filling and then pop on a crown. 


Sounds like quite the ordeal, doesn’t it?  Well, guess what? Didn’t hurt. Well, it was a little sore when the anesthesia all wore off. Tylenol took care of that. Not a horrible experience for me. Hope yours turns out as well. 


Deuteronomy‬ ‭7‬:‭9‬ says, Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations


Father, thanks for you for the lack of pain involved. I’ve had enough of that with my back. Amen. 

No comments: