Wednesday, July 19, 2023

July 19 - “This one had a reason”

Well, to start with, I had one of those odd nights. My back and hip caused me to stir awake at 11:30. We hadn’t even been in bed all that long. I managed to reposition and get back to sleep, though. Then it happened again around 3:30. The uncomfortableness had escalated a bit into the beginnings of actual painfulness. I tossed and turned some more, but finally gave up and got up right around five. Never can figure out why some days I sleep great. But others, not as I much. Well, this particular one had a reason.

I went about my usual morning routine. Dog care. Coffee. Bowl of fruit. Quiet time. Read the paper. Post a blog. And as I was posting the blog around 5:45, a fire call notice came across my phone. The address was on my street, and it looked very familiar. I decided to walk down. If nothing else, I could connect with the fire fighters and pray for the individual. 


Sure enough, it was the house I thought. One of our neighbors, who was also a friend of many years, was in distress. She was 92 years old and lived alone, but her niece was there with her. The niece had called the rest of the family already, and they were on their way to the emergency room. I prayed and waited for my neighbor to be taken into the ambulance and on to the hospital. In the meantime, I had a chance to talk to and assure the niece that the fire fighters and paramedics were doing everything they could.


It’s always a tough call when it involves someone you know. But I was more than proud of the fire fighters and paramedics. They responded quickly. They sprang into action upon arrival. They did absolutely everything possible for our neighbor, while showing respect and compassion for her and her niece. I appreciate you guys. 


Oh. We started double digits yesterday. Treatment number ten of fifteen. 


1 Peter‬ ‭2‬:‭9‬-‭10‬ ‭says, But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.


Father, thank you once again for the commitment of the first responders to do a very tough job. I sure do love those guys. Amen. 

No comments: