Saturday, July 9, 2022

July 9 - “The living fan”

We bought a new fan for our bedroom the other day. We like to have one of those box affairs going along with the ceiling fan. The noise helps Chris sleep. The cool helps me sleep. The one we have been using had a broken operating switch. Still works, but you have to have a pair of pliers to turn it on and off. That one has been relegated to my workbench in the garage.

 

So … we bought a new one for the bedroom. It was randomly selected from the massive pile at Walmart. We had no reason to think there would be anything unusual about a simple box fan. Little did we know …

 

That night we turned it on, as has been our custom with the other one. All seemed fine as we drifted off to sleep. But the next morning when I woke up, the fan was sitting right up next to the side of the bed. Still humming along nicely. It was just about four feet from its starting point. I thought maybe Chris moved it during the night. But strangely, she thought I was the one who moved it. Odd.

 

The next night we pushed it back into its place and again went on to bed, totally oblivious to the travel plans of our new fan. When I woke up the next morning, I swung my legs over to slip into my house shoes. Lo and behold … right next to my shoes, barely an inch from my leg, was the fan. That caused me a bit of a start. But on purpose, I didn’t move it. I just got up and started my day. But later, when Chris got up, that fan was now at the farthest reaches of its electrical tether, pointing at the corner of the bedroom … away from the bed. Now that’s just plain weird. 

 

But I was determined to stop that thing from traveling any more. The next night I stacked my shoes up next to it. To travel this time, it would have to shove them out of the way. Aaaaand … victory. No movement at all. Guess we’ll keep up with the nightly barricade from now on.

 

Luke 6:35 says, “But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.”

Father, thank you for the miracle of electricity that brings us coolness and calming sounds at night. We could do with that fan staying in one place, though. Amen.

No comments: