Thursday, December 7, 2023

December 7 - “The Great Escape”


Happy birthday to my big brother, Jay!


I started my morning off in a wheelchair. Well, that was after my obligatory trip to the bathroom and my rogue first breakfast (call me a Hobbit) of a banana from yesterday’s tray and some grape juice, also salvaged from yesterday. But the wheelchair…


Apparently my doc ordered a series of x-rays of my back. Can’t imagine why. Since it was just a little after 6 a.m., my chariot was driven by none other than the night supervisor of transportation. Quite the chatty lady once she discovered we were both BOI’s. 


On the way back to the room we were told that the Neuro team had already made rounds, but the nurse gave them a call and asked them to return. The nurse practitioner who works with the neurosurgeon came by. She said the final call is up to the big doc, and he was still in surgery, but there was a good chance he would let me go home. 


I had some more visitors. Jim came up, as did Cathy and Lauren. And I got a vase of really pretty flowers from the Galveston Fire Department family. Thanks for the love, guys. 


Later in the afternoon, the nurse emptied the drain pack again. He told us they generally like to have less than 100 Cc’s in a 24 hour period. I was over that already. Chris said the extra bleeding was probably a result of the extra trauma from the extra stuff they had to do in surgery. “Extra! Extra! Extra! Read all about it!”  I was all set to settle in for yet another night at the hospital when …


The neuro team came in. Well, the most junior segment of the team, anyway. Three young residents. And they had some good news. They were there to remove the drain and release me to go home. They made quick work of popping that tubing out. Actually, the second year resident talked the medical student through doing the procedure. Chris said he did well. Yep. Chris watched over their shoulder the whole time. She counted 35 staples, then took a picture so I could see for myself. Let me just say, it was great to let the air get to my back. They even said I could take a shower. Great news there, that’s for sure. Once the discharge process started, it was rock and roll time. Literally. We had to wait like a couple of rocks for the wheel chair to roll me outa there. But the wait was worth it. I am outa there and BACK home. 


‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭3‬:‭15‬ ‭says, But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect


Father, thanks for apparent good results. Still pretty sore, but I’ll be patient. Amen. 

No comments: