Saturday, December 16, 2023

December 16 - “Into the realm of Shingles-dom”



Our esteemed Uber driver Jachin took care of our needed transportation to the doc’s office. My appointment was for 8:20, so he had to get up early. I think it was worth his while, though. We gave him a little gas money. But his real payment came in the form of Chris’ famous homemade divinity. That would be Jachin’s favorite of Nana’s homemade treats. Hope that made up for your early morning call, Jachin. 


My early morning call was to the baby doc (read here, “resident “) standing in for my PCP. The purpose? To get me some meds to slow down the progress of my foray back into the realm of shingles-dom. The resident did her exam and indicated which meds would be forthcoming. She wasn’t completely convinced, though. Well, that and she was required to have her attending real doctor come in and look at me as well. The faculty doc was way more thorough. She checked my past bloodwork and ordered a repeat of several of them, to Chris’ glee. That resulted in an order for me to take a couple of extra vitamins. B12 and D, I think. How come some of the vitamins have numbers and some are just by themselves? I also ended up with a prescription for a shingles-/fighting drug. She also ordered a cream to rub on the site that hurts. It’s supposed to be so hot that that it gets the nerve cells all excited, then wears them out so they can’t send pain signals anymore. Finally, I’m supposed to up the dosage on the muscle pain I’m already in. And of course … come back in two weeks. 


Last night I got the first two of the shingles pills in my system, and I took the first of the extra gabatentin. For pain, I’m alternating every four hours between Tylenol, ibuprofen, and the docs’ pain pill. Meanwhile, Chris has been rubbing the shingles-infected area with the hot cream. I didn’t even feel it the first two applications. But oh, that third one. It finally lived up to expectations. Wow! Here’s hoping the heat means it’s doing its job. 


Colossians‬ ‭3‬:‭17‬ ‭ says, And whatever you do, in word or deed, wdo everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.


Father, please use the new meds to calm down the shingles so the surgery can do some healing. Amen. 

No comments: