Saturday, August 12, 2023

August 12 - “A night of surprises”

I did a bit of a ministry task late the night before last. I got a phone call around ten p.m. or so from a friend from church. He needed a ride to the emergency room to get checked out for some pains he was having. Josh joined me, and we took him in. It was the first time I have been in the newly remodeled ER at UTMB. It is really nice. Very user-friendly. When they called him back, Josh and I were told we had to stay in the waiting room. After a while I texted back and let our Seasider know we were heading home, and he could call when he was ready to come home. We got back sometime close to midnight-ish. 

As it turned out, when I checked on him yesterday, he told me that he wasn’t released until around 4:30 a.m.  And the police gave him a courtesy ride home. Someone else was planning to bring him the medication they ordered, so he was all set. 


Later I received an early wake-up call. I mean really early, especially after a late night. 4 am. Well, I can’t say it was technically a wake-up call. More of a wake-up noise. Chris popped out of bed in full-on Mom mode to see what was happening. When she turned back into the bedroom, she informed me that Josh was in the bathroom throwing up and Luke was in the hall with a trash can doing the same. Caleb’s recent illness had apparently caught up with them, and they just didn’t have Christi’s natural Mom Protective Gene. Moms-only thing, and all. Christi had this emergency covered, so after delivering some anti-vomiting medication, Chris came back to bed and went right back to sleep. Not so much me, though. I finally just stayed up and got ready for my big event of the day … 

 Fishing with Zak. 


And as it turned out, we had a really good day. Left the house around 5:15 to get bait. Got back around 9:30 or so. And in between we caught a mess of specs and sand trout. Zak got the award for biggest fish, though. He reeled in a huge hardhead catfish. And that evil thing didn’t want to let go of the hook, either. Zak finally “persuaded” him rather ungently. Good job. 


Sadly though, we weren’t able to enjoy the fish-fry fruits of our labor. Josh and Luke were still spending a lot of time in the bathroom unloading stomach contents (I heard that Josh may or may not have just crawled into the bathtub and gone to sleep).  Both of them just wanted to go home and crawl into their own bed. AnnaGrace was pretty much fine with whatever decision was made from on high. I felt most sorry for Caleb, though. He had already had this crud, so he was ready to go to the beach at least. Home finally won the day. They loaded up and headed for Waco a day earlier than planned. 


James‬ ‭5‬:‭13‬ says, Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise.


Father, please be with Doug and Josh and Luke. And protect Christi in particular as she takes care of her family. Amen. 

No comments: