Saturday, July 31, 2021

July 30 – “An … unfocused … ”

Chris went for a walk.  So did I.  Sort of.  I walked into the back yard to mow the grass.  Might as well get that little chore whipped out before she gets back.  I got started.  One row begun beautifully.  And then I saw it.  Reaching its evil tendrils out from the depths of the flower bed.  I wasn’t positive at first, so I turned off the mower for a closer look.  Yep.  There it was.  A very large, very evil stickerbur plant.  And I’m not talking about those fake stickerbur things.  Oh, no.  This was the kind with the actual line of burs in a pod that looks like a simple grass stalk until it opens up to reveal its treacherous innards.  Not wanting to spread the evil like a Delta Covid infection, I went to the garage and got the weed puller tool.  Bam.  One less pocket of evil in the world of our backyard. 

 

But while walking back from the garage, I noticed one particularly overgrown portion of one of Chris’ vines.  Well, of course I couldn’t let that slide.  I went to the storage shed and pulled out the loppers.  Wonderful tool, those loppers.  Snap right through any branch that you can wrap it around, as long as you have the strength to actually bring the handles to a close.  It took that vine right out.  Of course then I had to carry the offending branches to the trash can.  But before I did that, I noticed some branches of the other vine hanging down, so off they came as well.  Hey, you might as well do what you see, right?

 

Speaking of what you see, that led me to notice the old satsuma tree that died in the freeze.  It has turned a nasty shade of black.  And I did have the loppers in hand.  I knew I wouldn’t be able to get all of it, but I at least could trim off the smaller branches to make the trunk easier to access with a chain saw.  And before you know it, branches were everywhere.  Many from that first vine, the boogervilla, had long sharp thorns.  I can attest to that with the evidence on both hands.  Scratches and punctures abound.  But I worked my way through.  And while I was doing that … Chris got back.  She joined in the process and tossed some branches as well.  She was even in a perfect mood.  She let me pull up the two gigantic sunflower weeds that had fallen across one of the walkways.  Love it.

 

We chatted a bit, and I remembered the actual reason I was in the backyard in the first place.  Mowing.  I got the backyard finished and started in front.  It didn’t take too long.  Even got the edging done.  But then … Chris appeared, loppers in hand.  Here was my chance.  Like the gallant knight that I am, I offered to assist her.  And like the lovely fair maiden that she is, she allowed me the privilege.  Not only that, she actually gave me free reign to lop to my heart’s content.  I was pretty tired and really hot by this time, but I wasn’t passing up that opportunity.  I lopped little bushes.  I lopped big bushes.  I lopped the oleander bush.  I even lopped some branches off the sycamore tree.  Don’t mention this one to Chris, but I also lopped on the crepe myrtle tree in the front yard.  She came back out and swept up the debris after we stacked all the branches at the street.  I gotta say … I was done.  Physically, I mean.  And I never got around to using the weed eater in the back yard.  That’ll be a project for another day.  Maybe a more focused day …

 

Ephesians 3:20-21 says, “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever!  Amen.”

 

Father, thank you for the amazing way you make the plants grow.  No matter what we do out there, you are still at work, patiently providing what they need.  Guess you do that with us too, huh?  Amen.

No comments: