Saturday, July 3, 2021

July 3 – “Regeneron”

Well, yesterday was the day.  Time for me to join the likes of Steve Austin – er, I mean Steve Rogers - and other heroes like him.  Time to submit to the future.  Time for … Regeneron.  That’s right, folks.  Once again, a brave soul set aside his inherent weakness for the good of humanity.  Once again, a hero on the inside would become a hero on the outside.  Oh, we’re not talking about a return to Captain America here.  Oh, no.  That would be too easy.  We are talking about above and beyond.  We are talking about the infusion to end all concerns.  We are talking about America’s newest superhero and his origin story.  We are talking about … Regeneron. 

 

Yes, Regeneron.  The bold, experimental infusion that began as a simple attempt to quell the spread of a deadly virus.  Through a quirk in DNA, or perhaps it was something that happened to the pharmacy technician who was late with the delivery – the technician has no recollection of at least twelve minutes of her life between the time she left the pharmacy and the time she arrived at the infusion clinic – something … happened.  And it was not lost on the world that all this occurred a mere two days before Independence Day. 

 

But perhaps we should hear from Regeneron, himself, the actual recipient of the mystery infusion. 

 

Regeneron.  I thought at first that was the name of the drug cocktail I was to receive.  Actually, I can’t pronounce those names.  Regeneron is the name of the company that produced the drugs.  They told me up front that they would be tracking my history for at least five years.  I suppose that is the life expectancy of the nanobots included in the infusion and inserted into my body. 

 

There wasn’t any immediate change or anything in how I felt.  And I never turned green or sprouted antennae.  Actually, I felt no better, no worse.  But the drugs were supposed to work together to stop the worsening of symptoms, so I assumed its effectiveness remained to be seen.  I slept pretty well.  A bit of a cough at first, but nothing that kept me awake.  And now that I’m awake, I find myself the face of the company?  Regeneron, himself?  Well, just between you and me … (whisper here) So, the Captain America serum has been infused.  When can I start being a superhero?  But there is just one thing … I never looked good in tights.  Can someone make me a cool-looking Regeneron costume?

 

1 Chronicles 16:11 says, “Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.”

 

Father, thank you for the promise of this new treatment.  May it work to help a lot of people.  Amen.

No comments: