Sunday, July 18, 2021

July 18 – “The call”

I received one of those calls yesterday.  The kind most every pastor and chaplain receives - even expects - yet never wants to happen.  This one came at around three in the morning.  The fire chief was on the other end of the line informing me that one of our young fire fighters had died. He was off duty, so his family was already aware of the situation.  The chief wanted me to come to the emergency room to be there for the crew that had made the call, in particular. 

 

I got up and dressed quickly and headed out right away.  The ER receptionist realized right away who I was there for, and directed me first to some people in one of the side waiting rooms.  It was one of the fire fighter wives, who we have also become friends with.  I gave her a hug.  She was on the phone, so I texted the chief to let him know I was in the building.  Almost immediately one of the guys on the crew came out and got me.  The ER folks were really kind, and gave us pretty much free reign.  Several police officers were there as well, and they were bending over backwards to be helpful.  Even one of the police chaplains was there.  He touched base with me and offered whatever help they could give us before he left. 

 

The crew who made the call was faithful to stay with the young man at all times, standing watch at his door and offering assistance as needed.  Eventually the fire department honor guard arrived in their uniforms to take over that duty.  Many off-duty fire fighters came, including Nathan and John.  Matt was one of their best friends.  In fact, he even lived with Nathan and April for a while.  John was invaluable in helping Matt’s fiancé.  Nathan eventually met with Matt’s family and is now helping them through the process of dealing with the funeral home. 

 

The rest of the day was a flurry of activity.  I went to two different meetings with the crew and with the guys who were coming onto Matt’s shift, the ones who were scheduled to work with him yesterday.  I heard one of the best, most impassioned and encouraging speeches I have ever heard from the captain to his crew.  I joined the chief as he took the packet of information Matt had filled out about his final wishes over to the family for them to use in planning.  I fielded several phone calls, and initiated a few more.  Along the way I received messages from the chaplain of the Galveston County Firefighters Association and the lead chaplain of the Galveston Police Department, offering whatever assistance they could to help out in any way. 

 

Matt was a fine young man.  He had an infectious joy around other people that inspired a lot of grins and outright laughter.  He was generous, willing to do anything for his friends.  I saw him make a run to Taco Cabana late one night just because April mentioned she was hungry and would really like something from there.  He loved his four young kids.  I enjoyed watching him deal with the frustrations and elations of coaching his son in Little League baseball. 

 

Service arrangements are pending.  Please be praying for Matt’s family – his fire fighter family as well.  Matt was a Christian.  I am confident he is at peace and with his Lord now.  You’ll be missed, Matt. 

 

Philippians 4:6-7 says, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”

 

Father, please be with Matt’s family, especially those precious kids.  Amen.

No comments: