Thursday, July 22, 2021

July 22 – “Treats in my ears??”

I joined Chris on her walk yesterday.  Three miler.  We did stop for a few minutes to talk to our fire fighter neighbor.  He is coordinating all of the honor guard activities for Matt’s funeral today and tomorrow.  He asked me to join them at a meeting with the funeral director this afternoon to get all the last-minute details worked out. 

 

A little background.  When we walk I generally leave my glasses (I wear sunglasses to walk) and my hearing aids (they don’t like sweat – the moisture causes them to go a bit crazy) on my desk.  So, when we came home I happened to glance down at the floor and notice … one of my hearing aids – minus the little plastic dome thing that goes into your ear.  I looked it over, quite puzzled.  But when I went to set it on the desk, to my chagrin, the other one was nowhere to be found.  Just gone.  Chris had started vacuuming out the car, so I called her in to help me look for it.  We ran our hands all over the floor.  Nothing.  I’m not sure at what point Chris finally realized that I meant an entire hearing aid was missing.  She had been searching for the plastic dome.  On a hunch I went into the family room and glanced around on the rug in there.  And there it was.  This one was intact, though.  Phew.  I called the doctor’s office and they said to come on by the office and they would replace the dome and clean and check out the aids.  They did, and all was well.

 

But that leads me to return to the scene of the crime and ask the question we have all been wondering.  How did the hearing aids make it from the des to the floor?  And how did one of them manage to find its way completely into the other side of the house?  Ah.  I am pretty sure a certain smallish brown dog was involved.  She somehow managed to jump into my chair and somehow reach over and knock the hearing aids to the floor.  And why do I place the blame thusly?  Freddy is quite the prolific jumper.  And she has been found completely on top of the dining table before.  Oh, and the hearing aids do resemble little treats we give her.  I’m just glad she was in search and discover mode instead of grab and eat. 

 

Oh. At the office I had to wait my turn and go back just like I had an actual appointment.  Even got to see one of the docs, who examined and cleaned the hearing aids and tested them for me.  Everything worked well.  I thought that was that, and I could head to the next item on my list.  But wait.  Who should be sitting in the waiting room but our old neighbor Mario.  He is great fun to talk to.  Well, to listen to.  He loves to talk.  I ended up sitting and talking with his for a good thirty minutes.  Great guy.  I miss him.

 

Hebrews 11:6 says, “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”

 

Father, please be Mario and Carolyn as they look for a place to buy in Abilene.  Ease the problems she is having with humidity here in the meantime.  Amen.

No comments: