Friday, November 24, 2023

November 24 - “Deliveries and more”


Yesterday began for me - honestly - when my back woke me up at about 3 a.m.  I moved to the recliner so I wouldn’t wake up Chris with my restlessness. Freddy joined me as my service dog. Well, at least until I kept waking her up with my restlessness. She moved to a different chair, but she kept a close watch over me. 


I finally gave in around 5:30 or so and got up. I did have a big day ahead of me. Thanksgiving Day fire department fried turkey deliveries. I left the house a little before 8. Finished up around 11:15. In between I made a visit to each of the 6 stations covering the whole island. Lots of driving, but I always enjoy seeing whoever is on shift. They all seemed to appreciate the turkey, too. The ones who have received turkey in past years were really good about encouraging the newer ones (and me) that it would be good. Thanks for being there, guys. 


Thanksgiving meal number one with family was amazing, as usual. Cailyn and April arrived first  (Nathan was at work).  I think they enjoyed being the only ones here for a while. The LaMarque gang arrived not long after, and the eating officially began. Fried turkey, ham, cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes, beans and corn in various arrays of simplicity as well as casserole-ic presentation, mashed potatoes and gravy, not to mention apple pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, tortilla cheesecake, and even homemade chocolate chip cookies. 


Helen from church came by on her way home from work. She’s the one who delivered an extra turkey for the fire fighters from the residents of the assisted living facility where she is chaplain. The Waco clan arrived in the late afternoon, so everything was recycled for Thanksgiving Meal number two. Good times two. And more to come today.  Big difference today? Nathan will be here this time. 


Psalms‬ ‭107‬:‭1‬ says, Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.


Father, thanks for another chance to share great times with family and friends. Amen. 

No comments: