Tuesday, September 8, 2009

September 8 – “Opening Day”

 

Ah, how I wish I meant Opening Day of baseball season.  Today was the first day of school for Seaside Christian Academy.  The preparation for today was incredibly stressful and confusing.  Probably because I had no idea if I was doing anything right or wrong or where in between.  I know this wheel has been invented thousands of times.  I sure wish I could have been in line sooner to pick me up one of those ready-made wheels.  I know it wouldn't have worked exactly at Seaside (What ever does?), but it would have been helpful. 

 

The teachers were great.  They have been very encouraging to me, and seem more than willing to help all they can.  I was really blown away by the students, though.  They were amazing.  They seemed to understand that we were all going to have to be on the same page or the whole thing was going to be a nightmare.  They had their moments, but I was way pleased with these guys.  They are excited about having a personal trainer for PE every day.  I don't know how thrilled they will be when she begins her Boot Camp with them, though.  I still need at least six months to develop the vision I have for an Individual Study time each day where the kids would have chances for mentoring (both ways), and learn how to do research that will be effective in college.  That's going to be a work in process all year.  I think they understood the idea that their assigned small study groups were not just another study hall, but instead were modeled after college study groups.  Those will be fun to watch as well.  I still have to come up with something for them to do on Thursday for Art.  The teacher can't start until next week.  Oh, and they are very excited at the prospects of field trips to somewhere other than, well, anywhere but Galveston.

 

Chris returns to Houston tomorrow to spend some more time with her Mom at St. Luke's.  Her Mom fell in the shower at the hospital yesterday, so they have an alarm on her bed and chair now.  Every time she tries to get up without help, the bell rings, the nursing staff comes running, and she gets into trouble.  I wish I could see that.  She said she feels like she's wearing leg shackles.  I wish I could see that, too.  That's a funny image.

 

I still haven't begun the sermon for Sunday.  I know the topic and the scripture, but I haven't really studied it since youth camp.  Lord, help bi-vocational pastors.

 

And now that I finish my steroid rotation tomorrow, I have to call my neurosurgeon again to see what meds I can take now.  Honestly, though not as severe as before, the pain is not all that different from before.  It seems to slowly be coming back.  Wonder what he'll say.

 

Psalms 13:5-6 says, "But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.  6 I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me."

 

Father, thanks for that love that never fails.  I'll need another dose tomorrow.  And as long as this school job continues.  Amen.


No comments: