Sunday, September 6, 2009

September 6 – “Satan and his Minions … a typical camping experience”

 

 

The late night last night and the early morning this morning were worth it, I suppose.  I thought I would never get finished with the setup for this morning.  I always appreciate what Chris does so much more when I have to do it.  That's the way things like that are.  I got the coffee made and communion table prepared and "David's gifts" set out on the other table.  I set up the nursery and spot mopped a few places.  By the time the first wave of folks started in, I was winded.  I also never had a chance to go over the teaching in depth again like I usually do, so I was praying feverishly as I talked with visitors from all over the place. 

 

The guy from Houston who called me yesterday when I was in Bay City was there.  He brought with him two people who hadn't been in church in twenty years.  They looked like bikers to tell the truth.  There was a huge family from Kingwood there – five kids along with Grandma and Grandpa and a friend.  A young couple we haven't seen in awhile was back.  Another lady came up to me afterwards and said she came today in a horrible mood and was leaving worshipping.  I was glad for the two kids with her.  During the communion segment I had to get a pitcher of juice and pour more into cups because we ran out.  The worship time was great.  A lot of participation and singing.

 

And then after church people stayed in droves to help get set up for school.  Somebody took my keys and handled getting the desks from storage in the school building.  Rita took over the organization of supplies project.  Melissa took charge of setup for school.  Sam went to work on the library.  Students were helping set out textbooks for each other.  Cory inventoried supplies for me. 

 

And it was a gift from God.  Because Chris called just as we were getting started.  The cardiologist there in Bay City had done another test on her Mom and told them that her heart had only about twenty percent functioning.  Quite a shock to say the least.  Apparently the last chemo drug probably had a lot to do with it, so it wasn't totally unexpected.  Chris' Mom and Dad immediately insisted that she be transported to St. Luke's in Houston for a higher level of care.  Chris was calling me to call my sister-in-law.  She is the oncologist.  Dr. Sue told me what needed to happen, and said the only thing that should gum up the works is if the doctor in Bay City refuses to call her office and authorize the transfer.

 

The doctor in Bay City refused to call her office and authorize the transfer.  Yep.  That's not a typo.  It took all afternoon, but they finally convinced a nurse to at least make the call.  Dr. Sue had already greased the wheels on the Houston end, so by late afternoon everything finally got set up and they took off for St. Luke's.  Chris plans to spend the night there tonight, and her sister will spend tomorrow night.  I'll go up sometime tomorrow and pick Chris up.  I don't know how long she'll stay at home, but at least she'll be able to get a shower and some more clothes.

 

Christina called this afternoon to check on her and to tell me about their evil camping trip.  It was just as I expected.  She said they went to Huntsville State Park.  The best thing she said was that they were filthy and exhausted when they came home.  They didn't catch any fish.  Know why?  Because Satan himself was watching every move they made.  In this case he had taken the form of a six foot long alligator in the water.  He made his presence quietly and frighteningly known at night when they shone flashlights at the water and saw his beady red eyes looking back.  Then he sent two of his evil demon minions over to demand a sacrifice of food.  These two took the shape of rodents wearing dark masks about their eyes.  Christina insisted that the trip was a success because Kel hadn't yet absolutely refused to go back ever again, so she was holding out hope for the future.  Maybe I should have a talk with my eldest son.

 

Psalms 10:17-18 says, "You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, 18 defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more."

 

Father, again, receive Vern into your hands.  Sounds like she's closer to you than us now.  And walk with Dub and Chris and the rest of their family through this.  Amen.


No comments: