Monday, September 14, 2009

September 14 – “Back Yard”

 

I wasn't sure what to expect when I went to the school today.  I heard that Friday was a real behavioral nightmare when I was gone.  I guess I thought I would be inundated with everybody's take on what happened and why.  It was just the opposite, actually.  Everything was very calm.  Everybody seemed to be looking ahead instead of back.  I was glad.  Finally one of the kids heard me say that I would be gone tomorrow for some more tests.  She whipped her head around and said, "Oh, no.  It's going to be horrible again just like Friday."  I assured her that they could handle it, but she wasn't convinced.

 

I like the atmosphere of calm around the school.  But I don't like the idea that it is based on whether or not I am there.  I don't want anything about the school to be personality based.  In fact I want the kids to become known for being in control of their behavior even when no adult is around.  I know.  Be patient.

 

Chris started cleaning out the back yard today.  She pulled up weeds and ran the weedeater along the fence line.  She pulled up the dead vine that was covering the steps to the deck.  She even tried to cut up the fig tree that fell down after all the rain we have had.  She finally decided she would need the chainsaw for that project.  Anybody who saw it before can tell how much she did.  There is still a ton of work to do back there, though.  I think she wants to bring the dogs home.

 

Psalms 1:1-3 says, "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.  2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.   3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither.  Whatever he does prospers."

 

Father, we're surrounded by trees falling and rotting.  We could use a good strong one around Galveston.  Come.  Amen.


No comments: