Monday, January 31, 2022

January 31 – “Retirement Day 2022”

Yawn.  I got permission from Minnesota Gary to sleep in today.  Made it all the way to almost six.  Does that count as sleeping in?

 

Yesterday was quite the Big One.  I really didn’t know what to expect.  We were purposely kept out of the loop on planning.  We were even banned from helping set up for the event.  And there was a LOT of venue setup.  Lauren and her team did an amazing job transforming the worship center.  First thing I noticed?  Astros and baseball decorations everywhere.  On the tables.  On the walls.  On people’s bodies.  Yep.  Apparently, word got out for everyone to wear Astros gear.  Lots did.  (Since I didn’t get the memo, I wore my pineapple Hawaiian shirt).  Tables and chairs were set up banquet-style instead of the usual worship chairs.  The fellowship room was set up with tables, waiting for the arrival of the Koop’s Barbecue and sides provided by Seasiders.  There was even a photo booth and balloons everywhere. 

 

Word has it that we had another huge crowd.  Estimates I heard ranged from 116 to 133.  There were people there from at least five different stages of our life.  A guy from my first youth group at Langwood Baptist Church.  Several couples we knew from South Oaks Baptist Church in Arlington.  A girl we first met at University Hills Baptist Church in Denver.  A couple from our days coaching basketball.  Several of the kids who grew up at Seaside and now have kids of their own (Lots of pictures there).  Not to mention the many other Seasiders, past and present.  We even had a couple who missed the service drop by the house later in the afternoon.  It was quite the array of memories just looking around. 

 

The service itself was crafted as an installation for the new pastor.  One segment was a charge to the church.  Next came a charge to the new pastor.  After that one I handed over to Kel the Moses staff I have used many times over the years as a prop for sermons, and along with it the reins as senior pastor.  Then he led a segment wherein I was designated as the church’s first Pastor Emeritus.  I understand that sort of changes my nickname from PK to PKE.  Guess I’ll be some version of PK from now on …

 

After worship we dug in to the barbecue.  And while everyone ate, a video played on a loop.  It had highlights of our time at Seaside, as well as some surprise inserts, including several photos taken from my old high school yearbook (I lost my copy in Hurricane Ike.  Sandy managed to scrounge up her copy and digitize me on top of the Ball High sign and again as Tigger in the senior class play).  The slides were occasionally punctuated by brief videos of different folks saying “Beep Boop.”  I imagine those of you who have gone to youth camp with us can identify that sound.  Lots of folks shared some really kind things about us and especially about their experience at Seaside.  Gotta love the church, folks.  One of God’s most ingenious inventions.  The most moving portions came when a gentleman read an editorial from the Galveston Daily News from years ago.  The editor had stumbled upon a Seaside worship service and was there to experience a beach baptism.  His words were so well put-together (the writer and the reader).  The guy reading had to stop a time or two to compose himself.  He assured us it was “just allergies.”  The article spoke of a young girl walking into the water with Pastor and Dad on either side.  And after the reading was complete, he looked over to his family and announced, “And that was my little girl, Ella.”  Very touching moment.  Chris and I remembered the original well, and will remember this time, too.  The sharing kept on going and going (Loved it when Lee showed off his Kansas City Chief’s hat designed in honor of QB Mahomes’ hair), until Kel finally literally used the Moses stick as a long hook to pull the last guy off the stage. 

 

Another unexpected part of the day were all the gifts we received.  When Mr. Bob arrived, he had a brand-new fishing pole in hand.  He presented it to me and said it was to be my new pointer for the Visual Verse.  I used it briefly before reverting to my old faithful.  I hope it has a much more specific use in its future.  We haven’t had time to open all of the gifts yet, but a few that we did see included a gift basket from Buc-ees, a Stitch stuffed creature, an Astros baseball card notebook with team cards from several years, including the 2017 World Series year (The card was a blowup of my face from my senior picture.  Frightening), an amazing fishing backpack that double as an ice chest, some little boxes of Legos that, when put together, form Astros players.  Again, there are many others we haven’t seen yet.  Thanks so much to everyone, for the expressions of love. 

 

After the festivities concluded and church was set back up for worship (we still had to be one of the last ones to leave.  We were giving the pastor a ride home), we went back to a houseful of grandkids plus one (Brennan, you are officially designated grandkid number eleven.  It’s easier to count that way).  They played long and hard, both inside and outside.  At one point Chris came inside and got me.  I followed her out, and we took pictures of two beautiful and really big hawks perched on a telephone pole and in a nearby tree.  We kept an eye on Freddy …

 

Thanks to all who had a part in our Big Retirement Day.  Seaside has been a dream come true for a minister for 26 plus years.

 

James 1:5 says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”

 

Father, thank you for entrusting me to be shepherd of such an amazing flock.  Now continue to watch over them with their new shepherd as they make their way through the coming waters.  Amen.

1 comment:

fancynancykay said...

I’m so sorry we missed it. I am glad y’all had a great time, and am delighted that the newbie is part of the family.

We love you guys!

Nancy Scoggins Keithley