Thursday, December 9, 2021

December 9 – “Great pastime”

Yesterday was the day for our Walmart grocery run.  It was one of those trips where we replaced the stuff we have used up in the pantry.  Canned goods. Cereal.  Juice.  We also grabbed some white elephant gifts for the fire fighter administration Christmas party Friday night.  And it being Walmart and all … we were not alone.  Plenty to see here.  Right at the front as we arrived, we saw Seasiders Tom and Jean.  They are some of our Winter Texas – Snowbirds.  Later, when Chris went in search of black-eyed peas, I met up with Stewart and Sonya from Seaside as well.  Stewart has been building our new set of stairs to the retreat center.  Sonya helped Chris stuff the gift bags for the Bethlehem Street Market on Saturday.  And while I chatted with them, Kenny, one of the fire fighters, walked by and shook hands.  Always good to see one of the fire fighter family.

 

Oh, we saw lots of other folks as well, but those were the ones we actually talked to this trip (unless you count the greeter that I said “Hi” to.  Hey, that’s kind of my dream job.  If I ever get it, I want people to be nice to me as well).  The closer it gets to Christmas, the more people there are to watch at Walmart.  Sigh.  People watching.  Great pastime …

 

Philippians 4:1 says, “Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends!”

 

Father, be with all those folks we “watched” at Walmart yesterday.  Certainly the ones we knew.  But be with the nameless faces as well.  You know them by name and by the number of hairs on each head.  Bless them.  Amen.

 

No comments: