Friday, December 24, 2021

December 24 – “yearly/not-so-yearly”

Chris went for a walk yesterday.  She actually made it a mile, but she was apparently huffing and puffing by the time she got home.  Gotta watch that girl …

 

Meanwhile I went out to Jamaica Beach City Hall to see about a permit for the stairs we had built on our retreat center.  Unfortunately, the lady I needed to talk to won’t be there until Monday.  Guess she got an early start to her Christmas holiday.  I did grab the church mail, though.  The box was filling up a bit.  Even had an actual box in the bigger box they have for big boxes.  Think through that one …

 

I saw an unusual truck on the way home.  From the front it looked like a very cool paint job of a lightning strike.  I’m pretty sure that was the intent, anyway.  But when it passed me, I saw that it was one of those transport trucks for panes of glass.  Suddenly all I could see in the paint job was a giant, shattered pane of glass.  Probably not what was intended. 

 

We worked for a while on the first draft of our yearly/not-so-yearly Christmas letter to send out this year.  Actually, Chris did the work.  I sat in the rocking chair and offered my assistance with remembering things that happened over the year.  We had a lot of stuff packed into these last twelve months.  You know … these last two whole years wouldn’t have been so bad if we could just leave out the Novembers.   You know, that’s the month around here for heart attacks and added stents.  How about we say now that that’s enough?  Or maybe just skip November this next year? Hate to miss Thanksgiving, though …

 

Last night we went on our second date in less than a week.  Part of our ticket to Cirque Joyeux included admission to the Moody Gardens Festival of Lights.  We have been a few times before, but I t has been a while.  There are a lot of the same images, but they have completely re-configured the walking path.  The Jesus Story used to be right at the beginning.  Now it is next to last, just before the Twelve Days of Christmas.  I would have ended with the Jesus Story, myself, but I guess they wanted to close with a peppy song. 

 

Luke 2:14 says, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

 

Father, thanks for the chance to share some fun experiences with Chris this past week.  We haven’t been able to travel lately, so we’ll just find the next best thing.  Amen.

No comments: