Sunday, December 26, 2021

December 26 – “It was a really good morning …”

Yesterday felt like an old-fashioned Christmas.  And by “old-fashioned” I mean like I used to feel about Christmas morning when I was a kid.  Except not so much the anticipation.  I just couldn’t sleep.  Neither could Chris.  For some reason she was awake at 1:30 in the morning and never could get back to sleep.  I started stirring around 3:30.  I finally gave in and got up at 5.  Ho.  Ho.  Ho.  Happy Christmas.

 

It really was a good morning, though.  Chris and I shared our Christmas gifts first thing.  I got some baseball cards for my 1963 series I am trying to complete.  Oh, and an Apple watch.  Now I can watch my heart rate right along with Chris.  Chris got a really pretty (if I do say so myself) hoodie, her usual desktop calendar, a cruise ship charm, and a wood carving (my creation) of Syllie the Squirrel (a character from my Christmas Eve children’s story at church, also my creation). 

 

Next we went over to Kel’s to watch them open presents.  Always a fun time.  We also may or may not have helped them eat some breakfast bread that Christina made.  She added a special treat to the recipe this year.  Crumbled bacon.  Interesting flavor, to be sure. 

 

Then we headed over to Nathan’s.  We finally got to see their fully repaired and operational - with no puddles – back yard.  They have had problems with their septic system since they moved in, so they were pretty excited to have that issue behind them.  They are still dealing with the company through lawyers, though.  The end of that story is still to come.  The yard, though, looks really nice.  Nathan was pretty excited about his ice machine that makes Sonic ice.  I taught him a new word that he was inspiring in my life … covetousness.  Cailyn showed us all of her great gifts.  Lots of cowgirl-ish paraphernalia.  She is truly embracing her new Santa Fe country culture.  We had a little brunch with them.  Bacon made in their super fryer and eggs.  Sensing a bacon-ish pattern here …

 

We swung back by Kel’s and picked up their dog and their hamsters.  The family is heading to Lubbock for a family Christmas with Christina’s crew.  We have responsibility for the canine.  Brennan has apparently agreed to take on the little rat job.  I never have understood why they call them hamsters.  They are too little to make back with.  And they certainly aren’t fat enough to pull out a ham.  Not to mention they are so hairy …


We finally managed a FaceTime call with Josh and his crew in Waco  sounds like Santa made his scheduled stop there sometime after their Christmas Eve service.  Josh had a cold  But don’t worry. He went to the ER to get checked out.  Negative on all tests for our latest bugaboos.  The kids were all excited to show us some of the goodies they received.  It’ll be good to see everybody together next week for a Vaughan Family Christmas. 

 

Oh, well.  Nothing prevented us from grabbing a bit of a nap in the afternoon.  Chris even snuck in another one last night while we watched a movie (It was the Jim Carey Grinch, so she didn’t miss anything.  We have already seen that one).  I think she slept better last night.  I haven’t heard her stirring yet, anyway.  By the way, it sure doesn’t feel like a Sunday, after the Christmas Eve service just two nights ago.  Hope we have some folks who remember …

 

Matthew 6:3 says, “But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.”

 

Father, please wake up some people who need to be in church this morning.  And keep Kel and his brood safe on the road.  Amen.

No comments: