Tuesday, June 9, 2009

June 9 – “School Board”

 

I spent most of this morning in front of the computer.  My first meeting with the school board of Seaside Christian Academy as interim headmaster was tonight, so I prepared some copies of the handbook as well as some handouts on what a school board is supposed to do.  I didn't know what they were expecting, so what they see is what they'll get.

 

We did head into town in time to meet Christina and the boys for a Luby's lunch.  I even changed my order.  Instead of fried shrimp I tried the meatloaf.  I really like meatloaf.  But I like it cooked.  This one was kind of rare.  Made for an odd, chewy consistency.  I think I'll go back to shrimp next week.

 

We all went over to the house after lunch.  I played chase and hide and seek with the boys.  They found some fun hiding places, and they thought it was great that they didn't get in trouble for running in the house.   No workers had been there.  The gas company is coming tomorrow to turn our gas on and light the pilot light on the hot water heater.  Our contractor told us this morning that the plumber still had a few things to do.  But, hey, the toilets work fine.  His crew still has to hang the doors and the painters have touchups to do.  He told us to call the guy who cleans and refinishes bathtubs, but I think we're going to give cleaning it ourselves a try.  I asked him point blank if we could move in this weekend, and he said he would be grateful to have those few extra days.  I'm not sure if that meant yes or not. 

 

The school board meeting went well.  I think I presented them with a little too much information, though.  Stuff that I'll be doing.  Stuff that they should be doing.  Stuff that the parents should be doing.  Student handbooks.  Policy manuals.  Financials.  Decisions.  Deciisions.  Decisions.  They're planning to meet again in two weeks.  They asked me at the end of the meeting if I ever said I would be the interim or not.  After all that information overload, I figured they would be able to figure it out.  I told them I did say yes to the interim, with emphasis on interim, position.

 

Ephesians 2:4-7 says, "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions — it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus."

 

Father, incomparable is not a strong enough word for your riches.  Thanks.  Amen.


No comments: