Sunday, June 21, 2009

June 21 – “Father’s Day”

 

What better way to follow up an evening with my only granddaughter than for it to be Father's Day?  Actually, I should say it was more like an all-nighter with Cailyn.  She cried for awhile right after Nathan and April left, but she finally settled down.  Then she was great.  Then it was bedtime.  For everyone but Cailyn.  She did not want to go to sleep.  Then when she did, she woke up every couple of hours.  Chris got up with her to try to let me get some sleep since today was Sunday.  I think they both dozed off for the last time that I remember around three or so.  She slept until eight this morning.  And we fully expected April to be here first thing.  But she wasn't.  We finally buckled Cailyn in and started for church … and met them at the end of the street, frantically hurrying to catch us before we left.  They said they were coming to church later, but they sure didn't want to let us take Cailyn with us.

 

We had baked potatoes after church for dinner on the grounds.  It was a fund raiser for youth camp.  I met a couple from Detroit who have recently moved to Galveston.  They offered to let us use their enclosed trailer any time we wanted to – like for camp.  All we have to do is buy some kind of gizmo that tells the trailer's brakes when the van's brakes are engaging. 

 

This afternoon Kel's family and Nathan's family came over for Father's Day.  Nathan grilled hamburgers and Kel hooked up our DSL.  He says now I have to buy a router so I can take the laptop in the other room and work during the Astros games.  His family gave me something old and something new (I felt like a bride).  The "old" was a set of encyclopedias printed in 1931.  That's going to be interesting to peruse.  The "new" was a gift certificate to Amazon.com.  Cailyn gave me a huge card with her footprints and handprint on it.  I'll have to pry that out of Chris' hands.  They also gave me a book on the history of the World Series with pictures and stats from every game since it was invented.  Josh called tonight, too.  He was trying to get the smoky smell out of the used car he bought so Christi would get into it.

 

Mr. Ken did help me cut out that piece of wood for my desk.  We used a leftover piece from the Amish cabinet guys.  And not only did he cut it perfectly, he also figured out a way to trim the edges so it looks beautiful.  Did I mention he used to be a cabinet maker / carpenter?  He's good.

 

Meanwhile, I have felt lousy all day.  I have had a sore throat and ache all over.  I didn't tell anybody, though.  At least until a few minutes ago when I asked Chris if we had any Benadryl.  Wonder if it's swine flu?  Haven't heard about that on the news lately.  Bet I could cause quite a stir.  Right now all I want to do is sleep.  Or stay up all night emptying boxes.  Or hanging mirrors.  Or … no, I think I'll stick with sleep.  We have another church group staying in the building this week, so I'll have to go talk to them sometime tomorrow.  And we have another school board meeting Thursday, so I have to wade through some more files to get ready for that.  I really pray that God sends us someone to take the principal position.  Sooner rather than later.

 

Psalms 40:5 says, "Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done.  The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare."

 

Father, among those "many" are my kids and grandkids.  Thank you so much for them.  Keep them in your hand.  Amen.


No comments: