Thursday, June 18, 2009

June 18 – “Tonight’s the Night”

 

After stopping at the house this morning to drop off some stuff, our plan was to head for Vacation Bible School.  We were in two cars so we could bring down more of the Omega Bay accumulation.  Chris and the girls followed me and we were going to leave the truck and all go in the Explorer to the church.  As I pulled into the driveway, our contractor called.  So much for our plans.  His calls always mean at least fifteen extra minutes.  And this one entailed more than that.  His guys had cleaned out the garage, and he told me to take whatever wood I wanted out of the pile on the street.  Of course Chris saw some that would be perfect for some shelves we might build.  I saw a few that might complete the wrap-around part of my desk area.  So I started pulling wood and carrying it to the back yard.  He said the guy would come later today or tomorrow to finish the garbage disposal.  The garage door guy might be here Saturday.  The fireplace lady will be here Monday to start that installation.  I'm kind of excited about that one.  I just want to see what it's going to look like to have it vented out the side of the house instead of the roof.  The three fiberglass doors and the mis-stained closet door are all at the painter's shop being made beautiful. 

 

I had to call the Houston Chronicle.  They were supposed to start delivery Tuesday in Galveston, but no paper has showed up yet.  They promised it would be here tomorrow.  I also called the phone company.  They were supposed to be here yesterday and didn't show.  It took some "encouragement" on my part, but they promised to be here today.  They actually did come before we left VBS.  So once again we have a land line.  And to make matters even better, the hearing impaired phone arrived today.  Actually the phone isn't hearing impaired.  It's supposed to help people who can't hear. Me.  Mom.  And we do have a dial tone.  We also have the same number we did before Ike.  The cable company also came today.  I didn't know they had to install something in the attic.  I think maybe it was some kind of device so the government can spy on us.  It is great to have service for the great TV we were given.  We're still waiting for the remote to the blue-ray player they gave us.  Hope it comes soon so they kids can watch some cool movies.

 

Tonight's the night.  We still have some stuff at Omega Bay (including, by the way, our coffee.  That means I have to get up in the morning and get some coffee and coffee filters for our never before used coffee pot that Nathan and April gave us.).  But tonight we sleep in Galveston.  After just over nine months, we are finally home … sort of.  It feels weird.  Kind of like we're staying in some kind of hotel with everything new.  And we still have boxes everywhere and more stuff in two different places.  But for now, we are home.  I committed to write this journal every day until we got home.  Chris doesn't want me to quit yet, though.  She says we still have the entire outside to deal with.  We'll see.

Psalms 37:8 says, "Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret — it leads only to evil."

 

Father, thanks for our house.  Help us use it for you.  Amen.


No comments: