Saturday, June 20, 2009

June 20 – “Mr. Ken”

 

Today started off in somewhat of a frenzy … again.  Chris left to take the girls to Bay City.  Their dad was to pick them up there.  Before they left I had to run to WalMart and get some prints made of the photos we took while they were here.  One of our traditions with them each year is to send them home with a book of pictures chronicling their adventures with Uncle Kelley and Aunt Chris.  It also gives them something to look at in the car.  Chris got them ready while I was gone, and they left right after I got back.  Then I had clean the church duty.  And what a duty is was this week.  The group that stayed this week didn't do so well at cleaning up after themselves.  Couple that with the usual Vacation Bible School mess, and we had a real situation.  I got there around eleven and finally left at almost three.  And I wasn't finished.  We'll just get there early in the morning.  In fact, if Mr. Ken hadn't arrived, I might still be trying to muscle down those stacks of pews by myself. 

 

Mr. Ken is a good friend of ours who used to go to Seaside.  He moved to Alaska and then Austin.  We haven't seen him in awhile, so it was really good to catch up with him.  It was also fun to show him around our house.  He used to be a builder here in Galveston.  He's the one who put in the deck in our backyard.  He's also the one who called right after the storm and inquired – not as to our health or the condition of our home.  He asked, "How's my deck?"  That's Mr. Ken. 

 

Right now we are babysitting Cailyn while Nathan and April go to a concert.  She cried when they first left, but then she settled down.  Every so often she must think about her Mommy, though.  She puckers up and lets fly.  Chris is great at entertaining her.  My favorite has been the sit in the sink and watch the water trick.  So far it's worked every time.  I got to feed her a bottle and hold her as she slept.  When she woke up she actually laughed out loud.  We took a picture of her smiling and sent it to her Mom.  Calm down, April.

 

Our new garage door was installed today.  He finished his job before I finished cleaning the church.  It look great.  I haven't played with the remotes yet.  But  will.  The fireplace lady is supposed to be here tomorrow.  That will change the whole look of the family room … again.

 

I think Mr. Ken has stopped snoring, so his nap must be over.  He and I are supposed to cut a piece of plywood for my desk.  I guess I'll go see if it's time.

 

Psalms 4:8 says, "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."

 

Father, grant us the sleep of a child at peace in her grandfather's arms.  Amen.


No comments: