Sunday, June 7, 2009

June 7 – “Picnic”

 

This morning we went to Josh's church.  Well, that is where we went after our morning bounce on the air mattress with Zakary.  This is the church I worked at when I was in seminary.  This is the place where I first discovered what it was like to invest my life in people instead of investing my time in programs.  This is the church we went to while we were evacuated from the storm back in September of last year.  Seems so long ago.  It's the church that gave us money and towels and sheets and encouragement.  It's where Chris and I cried the first Sunday after the storm when we heard a particular song their choir sang.  They have had more than their share of problems over the past year, but it still feels just a little like home when we go there.  And they are taking really good care of Josh and Christi and Zak and Caleb.

 

We went to lunch with some old friends.  The afternoon was spent sleeping and reading.  I actually finished the Ted Decker book I started.  Now I'm going to attempt The Shack.  Josh wants to talk about its theological implications.  That could mean it is really good or really boring.  We'll see.

 

This evening the church had its yearly community picnic.  They invite the neighbors, serve free hamburgers and hot dogs, set up those inflatable jump houses for kids, and register for Vacation Bible School.  Pretty good idea for a group with a lot of resources.  I don't know if they made an impact for the Kingdom, though, or if it was just a party for their members.  It was good to see some more old friends, in any case. 

 

Revelation 3:19 says, "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent."

 

Father, sometimes it's really hard to be earnest about things I want to do, much less things like rebuking and disciplining and repenting.  Help.  Amen.

 


No comments: