Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June 24 – “White”

 

I spent most of this morning coughing and working on the sermon.  I also talked to the groom of one of the two weddings I have Saturday.  He was pretty funny.  Any question I asked, he had no idea.  Finally he said he had just left everything to his fiancé and her mother.  I asked if he was following the "Yes, dear" plan of attack.  He readily agreed.

 

The painters came and put the prime coat on the garage.  They asked what color we wanted to paint it.  I actually knew the answer to a design question.  White.  They will be back tomorrow to finish that up.  He also told us that the doors were looking pretty good, and they should be done in the next day or two as well.  That meant we had to get the doorknobs keyed like we wanted.  We had a few other odds and ends to pick up along the hardware line.  So we ventured over to Village Hardware.  They had the chrome piece we needed to replace over the old drain stopper in the bathtub.  I asked about the doorknobs, and they said that they are made now so you can do it yourself.  He said there are directions in the package.  That's what I needed to hear.  Another project.  I'll wait until I'm feeling better to tackle that one.  Home Depot had the closet doorknob we needed to replace.  The one we had was defective.  One of the bolts wouldn't go all the way in.  We also found a rubber stopper for the bathtub.  A quick stop at a tile place was ineffective.  We're looking for a particular brand of grout sealer.  As usual, WalMart was our last stop.  We got some groceries and some household odds and ends that Chris had determined we needed.

 

We went a bit early to church tonight so I could do some more Seaside Christian Academy interim headmaster stuff.  We need God to send us someone to take on this position as a ministry.  There is a lot of work, and someone needs to own it as his or her own.  Teachers need to be lined up.  Previous students need to be contacted.  Enrollment information needs to be made available to the public.  The board needs to be trained and encouraged.  Pray.

 

The youth group met with the group from San Antonio that is staying at our building.  They had three kids who led worship after our youth pastor's teaching.  One was a very good guitar player.  They are working in High Island rebuilding a lady's house.  One of their smallest girls was helping run electrical wire in the attic today.  She heard a noise and looked down, where she saw a rat standing right by her ankle.  According to her story, she calmly lifted her leg and let him pass right on by.  She's earned some respect from more than just the rat population of the peninsula.

 

Joshua 1:7-9 says, "Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

 

Father, I want that kind of promise to apply to me.  Help me when I get terrified.  Amen.


No comments: