Tuesday, June 2, 2009

June 2 – “Lloyd”

 

I had a phone call last night from the head of the school board at Seaside Christian Academy.  I have been officially asked to be the interim headmaster while the board looks for someone to fill the position permanently.  It is certainly an exciting opportunity, and a little scary as well.  I had already been doing some work in that area on the school handbook.  I also have a brainstorming list of things that should happen over the summer.  It's all going to take a lot of parent and volunteer involvement, though.  I guess that's one thing that's similar between the school and churchwork - working with volunteers.             

 

We dropped off the truck at the mechanic's shop this morning.  Oil change, AC work, and maybe fix the key to the driver's side door.  That will be a welcome change.  It gets old having to walk around to the passenger side to unlock the door every time.  Wouldn't be so bad if Chris was always with me, though.  It should be ready tomorrow. 

 

After Luby's lunch with Mom (Kel and Christina and the boys got to come today), Chris dropped me off at the house while she and Mom went searching for Mom a bathing suit.  Her water therapy class started back tonight, so she was getting all stocked up.  While they were gone I filled up the trash cans with debris from the front yard.  It was extremely heavy.  I sure hope the trash truck picks it up with no trouble.  Was it ever hot.  One sign said it was ninety degrees.  My body said it was at last that.  In the shade. 

 

I had one of those divine encounters today.  As I picked up trash outside, a taxi stopped.  I thought he was going to ask for directions, but the driver got out.  He asked if I lived there, and when he found out I did, he started talking non-stop.  He talked about where he lived and what damage his house had and how he felt so helpless when his little daughter asked him, "When are we going home, Daddy?"  He talked about God sparing him what so many others on the island had to go through.  He talked and talked and talked.  By the time he slowed down enough for me to ask his name and assure him that God sure must have an important purpose for him, he had to get back on the road.  He told me his name was Lloyd.  I'll remember him.

 

While I worked outside the floor guys were going at it inside.  The wood floors had been sanded thoroughly.  They were supposed to stain them today as well.  For some reason they stopped working around 2:00.  We left to come back to Omega Bay around three.  They were still sitting around.  We'll see tonight if they ever did.

 

I am so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open, and it's only 5:00.  Guess I'll doze off while Chris takes Mom to water therapy. 

 

Luke 2:30-32 says, "For my eyes have seen your salvation, 31 which you have prepared in the sight of all people, 32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel."

 

Father, my eyes hurt right now.  But I remember what it was like when I first saw your salvation.  Keep the light coming.  And keep Lloyd and his family safe.  Amen.


No comments: