Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 10 – “The Last Door”

 

I was working on the teaching for Sunday this morning when the phone rang.  It was almost nine, so we thought it was the gas company calling to say they were thirty minutes away.  That was the deal with them, anyway.  But it wasn't them.  It was Mom's dentist's office calling to say they had a cancellation and she could have he 9:30 slot.  That was something we decided to jump on, since she had lost a filling on the way home from Mansfield.  So Chris and Mom took off in the Explorer and I left in the truck.  One of us had to be at the house to receive the gas man when he did call. 

 

I spent the first hour or so doing some cleaning inside the house.  Chris wanted to wipe out some drawers in the kitchen so she could put shelf paper down.  But most of the drawers were full of sawdust.  I hooked up the wet/dry vac and got what I could.  She came in later and finished up.  I was contemplating whether to change into my nasty, work on the tools clothes when Nathan called.  He and April wanted to check out the house and go to lunch with us.  Well, he didn't say they wanted to go to lunch, but he didn't turn it down.  They arrived about the same time Chris and Mom did.  McAlister's Deli is our old standby.  At least it's mine when I have to choose where to eat.  Cailyn was in a pretty fussy mood.  She only wanted Mommy to hold her.  Daddy was OK in a pinch, but he wasn't really cutting it either.  We still took our turns, though.  April needed a break.

 

I did work on the tools this afternoon while Chris was in the kitchen.  One of the workers came and adjusted the vanity in the hall bathroom.  He said he was going to install the ice maker, but he didn't have the parts he needed.  We did have some good news toward the end of the day.  The last door  the one that goes between the house and the garage – the one that's been missing for about six weeks "somewhere in transit" – showed up.  It was being installed when I left.

 

Speaking of good news, the group that is staying at Seaside hit a snag on the project they came down here to do, so they volunteered to run all the electrical stuff for our new building.  They even think they can finish it all by the end of the week.  The group coming in next week can then do some sheetrocking.  Our building supervisor told me this morning that we still need plumbers, though. 

 

I got a call in the midst of "tooling" from a guy at a church south of Houston.  He wanted to bring a group to Galveston – no, specifically to Seaside – to do sheetrocking or whatever we needed.  I asked if he knew any plumbers.  He said, "As a matter of fact, I know three.  Let me make some calls.  Maybe we can make that happen."  He's going to email me and let me know.  Come to find out this guy used to go to First Baptist Church in Galveston.  He remembered me from when I went there.  That was for six months right before I went to college.  He said he and the girl he married were younger than me, but they both went to Ball High.  I didn't remember him.  Or her.

 

James 4:2-3 says, "You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God."

 

Father, we're asking for help on the Seaside building.  Looks like you're putting it together for us once again.  Thanks.  Amen.


No comments: