Sunday, June 14, 2009

June 14 – “Moving Day – Part Two”

 

I know.  It's Sunday.  You're not supposed to do manual labor on Sunday.  Chris tells me that all the time.  But I can hope, can't I? 

 

We got the girls up early.  And by girls, I mean everybody in the house right now except me.  That's four to one.  Not fair.  I stopped for some donuts in the truck and met the girls at Seaside.  It was an unusual day.  Our friends from Austin were there.  Then the Chipmans, another couple who used to live in Galveston, also walked in.  It was old home week.  I talked with a lady before the service who was from Richardson, Texas.  Most of the crowd was Seasiders, though.  One couple was moving to the Dallas area, and this was their last Sunday.  That makes our sixth family to leave since Ike.  But God keeps sending others our way.  I wonder who he plans to use to do what next?

 

We had lunch with the family from Austin who gave us the TV and another couple.  It was great to sit around and talk like we used to.  After they left we went by and picked up a bed and dresser from a friend who promised it to us a long time ago.  She even included the mattress and box springs.  Chris and I unloaded it at the house.  The girls and Mom were going to watch a movie, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work without the remote.  We called April and she came over to try, but she couldn't get it either.  So she called Nathan at work.  He tried to walk her through setting up the universal remote, but none of the codes worked.  We called Kel, but he couldn't figure out anything over the phone.  So I didn't feel so bad.  Finally we switched to the movie the kids watched the other day, and it kind of turned itself on.  So it was "Kung Fu Panda" again.  Mom was not that excited.

 

I went back to the church to meet the group from Highlands Baptist Church in, well, Highlands.  In their words, "It's not Baytown."  They have a pretty big group here for Vacation Bible School, beach ministry, and youth ministry.  After their supper they scattered out over Jamaica Beach to hand out fliers about the week's events.  Some of our kids were all set to be guides. 

 

Now that Chris is asleep I can confess that Cory and I did something that I hope surprises her tomorrow.  We were both (that is, Chris and I, not Cory and I) kind of disappointed that we haven't been able to get enough moved in and set up so that we can actually live in our house – i.e. sleep there, be moved out of Omega Bay.  So Cory and I went by the place where some more of the things given to us were stored.  After much pushing and shoving and moving and adjusting, we were able to uncover the table and chairs set we planned to use until we can get one of our own.  That table is really heavy.  We had to take off the legs to lift it.  I also managed to manhandle out the recliner.  I also know that I will be extremely sore tomorrow.  Cory couldn't come to the house to help me unload, so I managed to finagle it out and put it back together.  I know Chris doesn't particularly like that recliner, but it should be fun to see her face when she sees it. 

 

Psalm 37:4 says, "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."

 

Father, I keep wanting to delight in all kinds of things that are good … but not you.  Help me take delight in you.  Amen.


No comments: