Wednesday, November 3, 2021

November 3 – “Determined Mama”

We walked our two miles yesterday.  Had to get some exercise in for Chris’ big stress test today. 

 

We had a brief scare at lunchtime.  I noticed on my fire department app that a call was just sent out for 16534 San Luis Pass Road.  That’s the address of the church.  I read it out loud to Chris to see is she agreed as to its familiarity.  I also jumped up to check it for sure.  (After all, I’ve only been there 26 years.  Still not quite sure).  Usually the alarm company calls before they tone out the fire department so I was a little puzzled.  Sure enough, a few seconds later my phone rang.  It was Lauren, our retreat center coordinator, calling to ask where the alarm box was and how do we turn it off.  The box is located in a locked room, so I got ready to head in that direction.  I was on my way there when the Jamaica Beach fire chief called me.  Seems he was already at the church, along with Seasiders Ed and Stewart.  They managed to get in and turn off the alarm, so I didn’t have to come.  It’s great to serve in a small town. 

 

We left soon after that to do some more LaMarque duty.  The three youngest of Kel’s kids got to see Christina in the rehab center’s outside atrium.  Best therapy around, especially after 28 days inside.  Going outside AND seeing her babies.  Can’t beat it.  Even inspired her enough that when physical therapy came, she walked 150 feet or so down the hall pushing a wheelchair.  Determined Mama.

 

I took Jachin to his baseball game and Chris took the others to karate.  Kel later joined me at the game with Noa and Ezra in tow.  It was not much of a baseball game.  Jachin performed admirably on first base.  Went one for two with a walk.  Good guys won 17-0.  Yep.  That’s a baseball score, not football.

 

I had Noa and Ezra with me on the way home.  It was … loud.  But pleasantly so.  The Astros game was playing on the radio (Sad state of affairs there.  Good guys ended up losing, but wait ‘til next year, right?).  The kids were in the back seat … counting.  Just counting.  All the way home, just counting, over and over.  And every so often they would hit a number that tickled them.  I don’t mean chuckle-worthy tickling, either.  I mean uproariously tickled them.  The number 28 was especially funny.  So was 37.  It was a great ride.  And to think, all Kel hoped for as he buckled them in was that they not fall asleep on the way home.  No chance there, Dad.  No chance.

 

Psalms 42:11 says, “Why, my soul, are you downcast?  Why so disturbed within me?  Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”

 

Father, thank you for the hilarious ride home.  Reminded me that it does a body good to just laugh every so often.  Like on 28.  And 37.  And …  Amen.

No comments: