Sunday, November 21, 2021

November 21 - “Let the turkeys begin”

 We managed our two miles yesterday.  No rain in sight.  Nice, cool weather.  I could get used to this.  Not gonna hold my breath, though.  This is Galveston, after all.


We also made another trip to Walmart.  We had to pick up the rest of the groceries Chris needs for the Thanksgiving feast.  We also needed to replenish the spices that she uses to rub the turkeys down before we fry them.  


Chris hung out in the kitchen rubbing those turkeys so they can sit in the fridge and absorb all that spiced goodness for a day or two.  I got to see some of the Baylor football game.  Lost their starting quarterback, but the backup did a great job.  That’s always my favorite part of a college game - when the underdog wins or a sub finally gets his chance to shine.  And he doesn’t blow it.


After the game I drew the yard work card.  That was another thing on Chris’ Thanksgiving list that had to be accomplished before everybody gets here.  I did the mowing and edging, as usual.  But then I also did the part that usually gets to my back worse than anything - sweeping.  Chris usually does that one.  And of course this was our first big sweep of the Fall, so there were a lot of leaves to deal with.  It all worked together to leave me exhausted and really sore.  Gotta get “up” for church today, though.  My day to preach.  Oh, and it is also dinner on the grounds.  And a transition team meeting.  And ... and ... and ....


Matthew 11:28-29 says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”


Father, thank you for that promise of rest.  I guess we all could use a dose of that.  Amen.

No comments: