Monday, November 1, 2021

November 1 – “BLUE Spiderman”

Most Sunday mornings we swing by the donut shop to pick up donuts for church.  Same order every time, so they have come to know me and even expect me.  They even miss me when we are out of town and don’t show up.  Yesterday we were there once again, but this time we were not alone.  Who should greet me at the door but Spiderman, himself?  Actually, it was the four-year-old embodiment.  He announced, “I’m Spiderman.  I’m Blue Spiderman.”  I guess that’s a thing.  His costume did have a blue tint to it.  He continued, “I have powers.”  Yep.  His fingers were coiled into the iconic web-shooting position.   Very exciting meeting for me.  It’s not every day you run into Spiderman, much less BLUE Spiderman.  As I was leaving, I heard him ask his Dad if he could have some of his “donut juice.”  Hmm.  Donut Juice.  Best description of coffee I have heard in a long time. 

 

Last night was our annual Halloween party.  It was attended, as usual, by hundreds of little kids dressed in costumes.  There were also 15 or 20 Seasiders who arrived to help eat pizza and hand out goodies.  And the Seasiders came from, well, numerous eras in history.  Many were current attenders.  Daniel started coming when he was, well … born.  He’s now in college.  Cory and Sarah were there with their new baby.  So was Allie.  Cathy came by, too.  Our friends connected with the fire department, John and Haley came with our “extra grandkids” Alexis and Rory. 

 

We gave away bag after bag after bag of candy.  200-plus glow-in-the-dark necklaces inscribed with 1 John 1:5 (see below).  200 glow-sticks.  And best of all, 200 New Testaments.  And we could have given quite a bit more.  We ran out of everything before the kids stopped coming.  All gone.  Well, the only thing we did have left over?  Pizza.  Lots of pizza. 

 

Oh, and one more thing … the Astros won.  The bats woke up.  And they did it without a single home run.  The Series comes back to Houston tomorrow night. 

 

1 John 1:5 says, “God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.”

 

Father, thank you for the chance to give all those kids a copy of your word.  Please use it to touch their hearts.  Thank you for all the folks who came out to help.  And thank you for the returning Seasiders who came by to let Chris get pictures of their babies.  Amen.

No comments: