Friday, November 19, 2021

November 19 – “The Night of the Eclipse”

We walked our two miles yesterday under the threat of impending rain and high winds and a full-blown Norther.  The rain never came.  It did get quite windy.  And now … OK.  It’s cold again.  54 degrees.  Send that stuff back up to Minnesota.

 

While walking we found out that one of our neighbors died early that morning.  I saw the fire call on my app when I woke up.  Looks like she probably had a heart attack.  She was 76 years old.  A very sweet lady who always sat on a chair in front of her garage chatting with the neighbors.  She’s been in the neighborhood for many years.  I’m sure Charlotte will be missed by many.

 

Yesterday afternoon I met Stewart and Kel and Josiah over at WalMart.  It was finally time to pick up the big TV for church.  It will be our main screen for worship, displaying the words to the songs, the scripture verses (yes, that includes the visual verse), and any film clips or powerpoints or still photos we have to show.  Stewart and Kel got the thing installed in no time.  It really helps when you know what you are doing.  It would have taken me three days.  Took them about thirty minutes.  It looks like the only issues will be the typical screen glare at several points around the room, but I think the trade-off will be a sharper, more trustworthy image.  Can’t wait to try it out on Sunday.

 

I even had a bonus as I drove through the parking lot headed home.  Engine four had just pulled in as well.  I swung around and said hello to those guys.  Always good to connect with some more of that family. 

 

Last night was The Night of the Eclipse.  I woke up at 2:15 a.m. and remembered the event, so I got dressed to go check it out.  The celestial event was about half-way done.  Very cool stuff, but not cool enough to sit outside in the cold for another two or three hours.  Time to get back inside and get back to sleep. 

 

However, as I came back into the house, Chris was buttoning up her robe to join me.  I chuckled and told her that it was pretty cold out there.  She mumbled, “OK” and stumbled to the closet to grab a coat.  Then I reminded her that she might want her glasses as well, if she really wanted to see anything.  She let me know in no uncertain terms that … she was still asleep.  I believed her.  No more suggestions.

 

Speaking of her being still asleep, when we went back to bed, I re-started my pre-sleep ritual of working on a crossword puzzle.  She, of course, fell asleep instantly.  After a while she roused ever-so slightly and asked, “Do you want some pineapple?”  Hmm.  Sounded good, but I told her I would opt for the breakfast service.  She said “OK” and resumed her slumber.  Gotta love that woman.  Thinking of others even in her sleep.

 

2 Corinthians 3:17 says, “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”

 

Father, thank you for the amazingness of your creation.  Things like that eclipse really showcase your power and utter genius.  Amen.

No comments: