Sunday, July 29, 2012

July 29 - "Very Pink"

I don’t think I’ll ever get used to this wedding stuff.  I don’t mean the ceremony and the whole concept.  God set up and I am totally in his corner.  I’m talking about color schemes and dress styles – things like that.  We made the trek to Tomball again last night for the wedding of a guy who was on my basketball team many years ago.  Great kid and he’s turned out to be a really fine young man.  Nathan was his best man, and a few of the others guys on the old basketball team were there to show their support. 

After getting Mom situated with a good friend who agreed to hang out with her while we went to the wedding, we headed out.  We did have to make a quick stop at Target to pick up a gift card to give them, and traffic wasn’t quite as bad as it was the night before, but we were still among the last to arrive.  And the first ones we saw were Nathan and Phil, the groom.  They looked very nice in tuxedos, but the boutonnieres were, well, very pink.  And as we got closer we saw that their vests and ties were also very pink.  I sensed a disturbing trend.  The wedding coordinator saw me and approached me with a wad of very pink all my very own.  She did give me the option to pass.  That’s she said it.  “Would you like to pass?”  Now I have learned that weddings are there for the bride.  No one else, really.  If she wants me to wear a huge very pink flower, I will wear a huge very pink flower.  But I did take the opportunity to act on the question.  I took it from her hands and said, “You mean we can play football with it?”  Nathan understood right away.  As I drew back to make the toss, he held his hands up like an NFL split end to receive the pass.  I didn’t really throw it, though.  Chris was standing right there.  I dutifully allowed the very pink thing to be clipped to my coat. 

As it turned out, pink was just the accent color.  When the bridesmaids came down the stairs they were dressed in black with very pink ribbons.  And the flower girl came down dressed in … something.  It was all black and it poofed out all over her tiny little body.  I mean really poofed.  It looked like something was inside it with her.  Frightening.  And across her chest were more of those very pink flowers.  The bride even wrapped a very pink ribbon around her waist.  One would think that she liked the color.  But, you know, in spite of my inherent aversion to very pink things, it seemed to work with all the black. 

I did manage to pull off somewhat of a dance move.  Well, it didn’t really have the flair that I had hoped for.  As I led the guys down the aisle toward the front I reached the spot where the coordinator had instructed everyone but me to pause for a picture.  There I did a quick spin move and pointed at the groom.  He was supposed to do something similar.  It looked great in my head.  But remember this is my head.  As I got back around to facing front I realized that I had misjudged the distance.  I was no longer on the path, but instead made a slight detour into the grass.  I didn’t fall down, though.  Acted like it was all part of my plan.  It was a very … pink move. 

Psalms 18:30 says, “As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless.  He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.”

Father, walk with Phil and Valerie.  Draw them to yourself.  They need you.  Amen.

No comments: