Saturday, July 28, 2012

July 28 – “The coordinator and the Littles”

 
 
Yesterday began with yard work and ended with a trip to Tomball.  The yard work part was not bad.  It's just been a while since we had to mow once a week, so we decided to try to stay on top of things.  Glad we did.  The grass was already pretty thick, and I hopped the fence again to run the weedeater on the fence line next door.  We started at 8 a.m. this time, though, hoping it wouldn't be quite so unbearably hot.  Glad we did.  By the time we stopped around ten or so, I was drenched with sweat and was probably on the verge of a little heat exhaustion.  I pounded down three or four glasses of water and crashed in the air conditioning for an hour and was as good as … well, not as good as new.  Maybe as good as I was going in. 
 
The trip to Tomball was for a wedding rehearsal.  Nathan and I rode together.  I'm sure he thinks that was a ruse so I wouldn't have to drive, but I really did enjoy hanging out with him.  I didn't even sleep the whole way like I expected to.  Nathan is the best man for the wedding and I'm the officiant.  Officiant.  That sounds so … official.  Microsoft Word doesn't seem to like the word.  It has one of those squiggly red lines under it.  All it means is that I get to do the "I now pronounce you husband and wife" honors.  Oh, and sign the marriage license.  It's not like I have any say over what happens during the ceremony.  They have a wedding coordinator for that.  And this particular wedding coordinator had me pining for the ones I work with at the San Luis Hotel in Galveston.  She was … in control of the situation.  There are not many people who can talk so fast that it is almost impossible to even interject a question here and there.  By the time she took a breath, she had moved seven steps beyond what you were wondering about.  Not that you could suggest a change or anything.  It was her way or the highway.  We were instructed on how fast to walk, where to pause for pictures (except for me and the tiny little boy involved.  We don't have to pause), how to hold our hands, where to stand, how to walk, when to come back for pictures, and most importantly - not to pick our noses (or certain other parts of our anatomy.  Actually that instruction was specifically directed at "The Littles" – her word for the children involved.  Nathan was excited when he realized that.  He got in the only real zinger of the rehearsal when he noted out loud that he was glad the instruction didn't apply to him.  Guess he had some excavating plans in mind).  She was certainly efficient.  The groom's Mom asked me at the dinner if I would consider dancing down the aisle when I entered just to loosen things up a bit.  Hope the entry music is upbeat.  I can feel the moves coming on …
 
Psalms 18:29 says, "With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall."
 
Father, come to this wedding with us tonight.  Lots of people there need to meet you.  Amen.

No comments: