Sunday, July 15, 2012

July 15 – “Rainy season”

 
 
Our rainy season continues.  I haven't kept track of how many days this has been with some rain every day, but it sure is rare for Galveston Island.  Not to mention difficult for all the summer tourists.  It's doing a number on our yard, though.  The grass is growing like crazy.  I figured our lawn mower would use a boatload of gas to plow through it, but I took advantage of a window in the wetness and got it mowed yesterday.  I managed to finish with just one tankful. The Brazilian pepper tree right on the fence line between us and the abandoned house next door is growing wildly as well.  That's the one I started grooming a while back to give us some shade in our yard.  It's been working, too.  It's just that that particular kind of tree knows no boundaries.  It pops up all over the place and has no sense of order in its growth plan.  I guess that's what makes it an invasive species.  During the lull in the downpour I did manage to get out there yesterday and trim it up some.  It's hard to get it done exactly like I want to because it is on the property next door and not ours.  That means I have to jump the fence and deal with the overgrown weeds as well. 
 
Speaking of the house next door, yet another new team of people showed up the other day to take pictures.  They said they were from the bank.  Apparently someone has been calling and complaining about the property.  Now who could that be?  His initial impression was that the house looked pretty solid and could probably be salvaged if it was just cleaned out.  I took him on a little inspection tour of my own and showed him the bowed walls and separating façade and peeling siding and rotten boards.  He did take some more pictures.  Maybe he'll change his report.  I'm afraid the bank will just keep hiring different inspectors until one of them says what they want to hear, though.  I sure wouldn't want to live in there if all they do is "fix it up." 
 
Looking forward to the youth-led service at Seaside this morning.    They plan to share testimonies about camp and how god has been affecting their lives.  Then we're having dinner on the grounds and a camp reunion party that's open to everyone.  Door prizes, a game, and a grand reprisal of this year's "I'm a Nut" song.  What an incredible blessing that will be.  Don't miss it.  Starts around ten.
 
Psalms 12:6 says, "And the words of the Lord are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times."
 
Father, give the kids strength and courage today as they lead in worship.  Amen.

No comments: