Friday, July 13, 2012

July 13 – “Truth trumps”

 
 
Friday the Thirteenth.  Anybody superstitious?  I can't remember ever being what I would call particularly gullible in regard to things like that.  I do remember having a lot of fun with it, though.  It was more like having a Halloween theme park show up at your doorstep with black cats crossing your path or breaking mirrors bringing seven years bad luck or walking under ladders guaranteeing a bad day or even stepping on a crack "to break your mother's back."  That last one always got to me, because my Mom had back surgery when I was a child.  I always wondered if my older brother had done the unthinkable.  In fact now that I think about it, I've had a few spinal surgeries of my own.  Wonder which one of my boys was careless about where he placed his toes.  Of course I'm not a mother, but what if it carried over? 
 
Guess that's the nature of superstition, though.  You start with a small seed of doubt and slowly it grows to add more and more and more distrust and worry until you are scared of … well, black cats and ladders and cracks in the sidewalk.  Then Jesus comes along and Truth trumps tales of make-believe. 
 
I met with some of the teenagers and youth leaders Wednesday night to plan for the youth-led service Sunday.  If everything works out, sounds like most of them will be there.  Should be a lot of fun. 
 
I worked at the computer most of yesterday again.  Got the slide shows of camp pictures ready for Sunday by setting them up as powerpoints.  One set of pictures wouldn't convert formats, though.  Not sure why, but I still have the pictures on a disk.  I made Taylor a DVD of camp pictures, too, so she'll have a keepsake.
 
Mom is still saying some very strange things, but she is at least talking now and seems to be getting around better.  She got a phone call from an old friend and actually carried on a conversation with her.  I'm not sure if she really knew her, though, because she was deflecting questions masterfully.  We would hear, "I'm not doing too good, but how are you?"  It was good to be hearing her say something, though.  We are still waiting for the doctor's office to call back with the test results from Tuesday to see which infection it was that was knocking her for a loop.  Sure hope we have it under control this time. 
 
Psalms 11:7 says, "For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; upright men will see his face."
 
Father, I want to see your face.  Help me to be upright.  Amen.

No comments: