Friday, July 27, 2012

July 27 – “The really tall guy”

 
 
I have just one further word about the whole "meeting with Big Bird" thing.  I was never a big Sesame Street fan.  My childhood television consisted more of Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans.  Mr. Caboose made some inroads, but I never liked Kitirick.  She was a lady dressed like a black cat with cat make-up on her face and some kind of cat whiskers.  Scary stuff.  I still don't like cats.  Maybe she's why.  They were all better than cartoons, though.  At least they were real people.  That's why I loved the old Superman TV show.  He was real.  Black and white, but real.  My favorite episode was the one when Krypton blew up and baby Kal-el was sent to earth.  Josh gave me the whole first season on a DVD not long ago.  Love it. 
 
But back to Sesame Street.  Kel was a big fan.  He liked the constant movement, changing from one thing to the next in a heartbeat.  When Josh came along he was more of a Mr. Rogers kid.  Me, too.  He preferred the slower moving approach, the idea of being laid back.  That's why he did so well in Galveston.  Nathan couldn't sit still long enough to watch any of them.  He was outside finding new and better ways to climb on the roof or into trees so he would have a better vantage point to plan future roller blade jumps.  He got so used to being up there that he forgot about satellite planning angle for jumps off the ground.  Instead he just jumped off the roof. 
 
I don't think Cailyn watches Sesame Street much, either.  When we tried to get her to tell her Mom about the whole incredibly exciting adventure, it went something like this:
Chris: "Tell Mommy who we saw today."
Mommy (who already knew because I texted her a photo): "Did you see somebody special today?"
Cailyn: "Aunt Stina." (Christina and Josiah were at the library as well).
Chris: "Who else did we see?"       
Cailyn: "Josiah."  (See, her priorities are like mine – real people).
Chris: "But who was the really tall person?"                                                 
Cailyn: (quizzical look as if to say "What in the world are you talking about?")
Chris: "You remember.  He was this tall (stretching as high as she could), and he was yellow and had feathers?"
Cailyn: "Oh.  That was Sessom Sweet." 
 
Sessom Sweet.  Sesame Street.  Sounds close enough to me.  And thanks to the miracle of iphones we do have some pictures to commemorate the event. 
 
Psalms 18:28 says, "You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light."
 
Father, I really like that thought – you keep my lamp burning.  If that's the case then I don't have to stress about doing it myself.  Amen.

No comments: