Monday, July 23, 2012

July 23 – “Fishing”

 
 
I finally went fishing yesterday.  And as a result I can tell that I haven't been nearly enough this summer.  Otherwise there is no reason I would have offered myself up to such unrelenting abuse as I underwent in the surf.  The waves were really rough.  Now, I have been when it was rough before, but that's usually when a friend is in from out of town who wants to go and we are on a tight schedule to get it in.  I mean, one of the perks of living in Galveston is I have access to the beach at all times, right?  I can go fishing any time the surf is calm, right?  I wish that were the case.  I guess it would be if I was retired and had nothing else to do.  But I do have fit in things like a sermon or two, a weekly Bible study or two, the occasional wedding ceremony, keeping our checkbook balanced, counseling sessions, and meetings here and there.  Not to mention spending time with my wife and grandkids.  And helping take care of Mom.  What would a vacation look like, anyway?  I vaguely recall those few days back right after Chris' Mom died.  Arkansas, I think it was. 
 
But go fishing I did, in spite of the choppy waves.  And I managed to get some of the best bait I have had ion a long time.  The shrimp were just the perfect size.  It's so rare to get that magical combination of just the right bait and great water conditions.  I guess one for two gave me some hope.  I did catch some fish.  Started out with a run of those evil hardhead catfish that are so hard to shake off the line.  There were some big ones, so I did have some fun reeling them in.  I don't eat hardhead catfish, though.  It's not that I didn't get any bites.  The little varmints were feasting on every cast.  I finally managed to reel in a really good sized speckled trout.  That at least made the trip worth going.  I kept one other whiting and also a croaker that will be good for future bait. 
 
I'm more than a little bit sore today.  I guess that will help me remember to call the rheumatologist and schedule a day when I can go in and get "the shot."  That's the next step in treatment.  They said I could come in for the first one and let them show me how to do it myself with a sample dose.  That shows why I haven't called yet.  Somehow I just can't get excited about learning how to give myself a shot.  I know people do it all the time, but this is me.  At least one of the options is monthly.  Think I'll go with that one.
 
Psalms 17:8-9 says, "Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings from the wicked who assail me, from my mortal enemies who surround me."
 
Father, I know there are no mortal enemies assailing me right now, but I really like the "apple of your eye" and "shadow of your wings" ideas.  Amen.

No comments: