Thursday, July 12, 2012

July 12 – “Mother Goose”

 
 
We managed to get Mom up and over to Libbie's Place yesterday morning.  She was a little more aware of her surroundings, and she did sleep better the night before.  We're praying she has made it over this particular hump. 
 
Once we got her there we decided to take Cailyn over to the library.  Christina told us that someone was going to be playing the role of Mother Goose for the kids.  In fact she said the lady doing it was the same one who came to the school she was teaching at in Alief several years ago.  Not sure why that was such a surprise, though.  Mother Goose is Mother Goose, right?  Kind of like Santa Claus. 
 
On the way there Cailyn started mumbling to herself.  I certainly couldn't tell what she was saying, but I don't trust my ears anymore anyway.  Apparently it was loud enough for Chris to ask her what she said.  "I just talking to my baby," Cailyn replied. "It's in my tummy."  
 
Mother Goose did an outstanding job.  She had the kids singing Eensy Weensie Spider and Baa Baa Black Sheep among others, and saying nursery rhymes with her.  Then she had them put a hand on their heart and raise the other in the air.  That caught my attention.  Then she called for them to repeat after her.  That really caught my attention.  The vow was that they would promise to teach the Mother Goose stories to their own kids when they grew up.  Now wait a minute.  Something felt a little strange about that.  Isn't that some kind of spreading propaganda tool?
 
That afternoon after her nap, Cailyn cried out for us.  I was the first one in to check on her.  She hugged me and snuggled up real close and through sleepy eyes asked, "DadDad, was Mama Goose real?"  Whoa.  This is a conversation for a parent, isn't it?  How do you answer that one?
My reply was, "You met her didn't you?  You heard her talk and sing, and you went up and said hi to her at the end."
She thought for just a second and replied, "Oh, no."
"Oh, no"?  Now what kind of a reply is that?  I had no idea where she was coming from with that one.  Struggling to keep it simple, I asked, "What's wrong?"
Tears formed in her big brown eyes as she looked up at me.  "'Cause I didn't give her a hug."
Picture here DadDad melting.  Go ahead and say it.  Awhhhh.
 
Psalms 11:4 says, "The Lord is in his holy temple; the Lord is on his heavenly throne.  He observes the sons of men; his eyes examine them."
 
Father, thank you for precious moments like these when you use little ones to remind me that sometimes a hug is the right thing to do.  Amen.

No comments: