Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July 17 – “That was an early morning”

 
 
Well, that was an early morning.  April started her five-week summer psychiatric nursing rotation yesterday.  She drew St. Joseph's Hospital for her clinical spot.  It was the one she really wanted, so she was pretty excited about it.  But it is located in Houston.  Ah, the trade-offs you make for a top quality education.  She has to be on the floor at 6:20.  In the morning.  In Houston.  Did I mention that was an early morning?  She'll probably leave at 4:30 or 5:00 to get there in time. 
 
I went over to their house so someone would be there when Cailyn woke up.  Nathan was on shift at the fire station.  I took my computer and briefcase and was prepared to settle in and get some early morning work done like I do at home while everyone else sleeps.  I received my instructions from April and sent her on her way.  And just as I got the first few sentences written in my blog for the day, I heard some footsteps.  Sure enough, here came Cailyn, rubbing her eyes and stumbling into the room.  I said my usual cheery good morning, and it took her a few seconds to register who this guy was sitting in her living room.  But when she did, that was all it took.  She was awake with a vengeance.  I had to come see her room, but first I had to see the game she had, but that was just after she had to show me that the pajamas she was wearing had princesses all over them, and not only that, she also had a princess sleeping bag now that was in her closet, which I had to come to right now and help her climb on the dresser inside and turn the light on and realize the bag wasn't in there after all but it might be in Mommy's room so we had to go upstairs and see it and then we had to roll it up so we could take it to show Nani and we had to get the clothes she picked out last night to wear today that were hanging up back in her closet and her shoes were in this drawer and … I was tired before we ever got to the car to come back to our house for breakfast. 
 
We made it back in plenty of time to help Nani fix breakfast and get MeeMaw ready for "school" (AKA Libbie's Place).  Cailyn rode with her, and after dropping her off, they came back here to pick me up for an errands trip.  We stopped at the bank and then went on to WalMart.  That's when we got our Cailyn words for the day.  As we drove toward the store she got a very concerned look on her face.  She was obviously in deep thought.  Finally she asked, "Do the check-outers sleep?"  Now there's a question for the ages.  Those WalMart check-outers are there every time she goes in, dutifully assisting with groceries and merchandise.  It never really occurred to her that there might be a rotation of different workers, like when her Daddy goes to work.  Chris assured her that they did, indeed get plenty of time off to sleep.  How they used that time was up to them, however.
 
Psalms 14:1 says, "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'"
 
Father, watch over April on her travels to Houston over the next few weeks.  And walk with her through the psych halls as well.  Amen.

No comments: