Saturday, July 21, 2012

July 21 – “Dollar dilemma”

 
 
I decided against going fishing yesterday.  And today.  The beach is just too choppy and the wind is pretty strong.  Yesterday I ended up mowing the grass instead.  It's a lot easier to do when it's only been a week between mowings.  That's the down side of having a nice looking lawn, I guess.  But Chris seems to be happy with it, and when Momma's happy, everybody's happy.
 
I also trimmed the oleander bush in the front yard.  We couldn't see very well to back out of the driveway, and it was blocking the sidewalk.  That made it a safety issue, right?  I'm working on my excuses to use in case Betty Head realizes I cut it during the wrong season.  She's the ultimate oleander guru for the Galveston Oleander Society. 
 
I also did some weeding in the front flower bed.  I didn't really intend to, but there were some of those weeds in there that have little tiny seeds that stick to your legs and arms and hair when you brush by them.  They are right up there just under stickerburs in my list of "not-allowed's" in the yard.  I was just going to pull a few of them up because they were hanging near where we park the car.  I hit a snag, though.  I couldn't get to the roots until I pulled a boatload of dollar grass out of the way.  That stuff grows everywhere.  The only good thing is that it doesn't have stickers or annoying seeds.  By the time Chris got back from taking Mom to Libbie's Place I was knee-deep in dollar grass and periwinkles.  She joined me.  So as it turned out, we had a chance to spend some time together.  Just a little different from taking in a movie or going out to eat.
 
When we finished the flower bed I decided that I just had to try out the power tool Nathan brought over.  April read in my blog that I was doing some chair refinishing, and she knew that he had a palm sander.  So he thought I might want to give it a try.  It's a power tool.  Why would I not want to use it?  Arr.  Arr.  Arr.  Is there a power tool for pulling up dollar grass?
 
Sounds like I got a lot done.  Definitely feels like it.  My joints are really aching today.  But I have all day to get loosened up in time for the beach wedding I have tonight at sunset.  So what can I do to get these old muscles and joints lubricated and moving again?  I'll start with another cup of coffee.  Maybe something will come to me.
 
Psalms 16:11 says, "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."
 
Father, thank you for that path of life insight.  It sure would be tough to make it without Jesus.  Amen.

No comments: