Tuesday, July 24, 2012

July 24 – “Where ice cream, Nana?”

 
 
Josiah stayed with us for a while yesterday while his mom shopped for school books (they are homeschooling), and his dad and two older brothers went to baseball camp.  As soon as his dad left Josiah began trolling for ice cream.  He is two years old now, so he can open our freezer to check things out.  It's one of those built into the bottom of the refrigerator instead of at the top. But we didn't have any ice cream.  And he was horrified.  He is talking a lot now so that's where he began, "Where ice cream, Nana?  Ice cream gone gone, Nana?  Need ice cream, Nana."  So of course … we went to WalMart.  Actually we had to go anyway.  The handle broke off of our toilet, and we were getting kind of tired of lifting the lid and reaching into the water every time to grab the chain and flush it.  So after we dropped Mom off at Libbie's Place, we went to WalMart.  As we walked toward the front door, Chris explained our rule to Josiah.  "You have a choice: get in and ride in the basket, hold onto the basket as you walk around, or hold one of our hands.  He selected the final option.  And, in the spirit of the third verse of I'm a Nut, he held his own hand.  He even held it up so we could see what he was doing.  And as long as he held onto it he stayed close to the basket.  When he let go, he began to drift away.  Or run away as he did once.  He took off hollering, "I so fast.  Watch me."  All it took, though, was Chris reminding him, "Hold a hand, Josiah," and he would look down at his hands.  A sheepish look would come over his face, and, "slap," together they would go.  He'd hold them up once again with a look of victory.  Attaboy, Josiah.  Oh, in case you were wondering what's the third verse of I'm a Nut:
                            Took me out to a movie show.                   
                            Stayed too late and said let's go.
                            Grabbed my hand and led me out.
                            Drove me home and gave a shout.
                            I'm a Nut.  I'm a Nut.  I'm a Nut, I'm a Nut, I'm a Nut
And we got our ice cream.
 
Psalms 17:14 says, "You still the hunger of those you cherish; their sons have plenty, and they store up wealth for their children."
 
Father, help me be one of those you cherish.  I want my sons and grandsons and granddaughter to have plenty of ice cream.  Amen.

No comments: