Thursday, October 1, 2009

October 1 – “First Steps”

 

Big news tonight.  Cailyn came over for supper.  She brought her Mommy and Daddy along with her.  It's a good thing, too.  They brought along their video camera.  Yep, we got to see the video of her first steps.  As it was, she was crawling all over the house.  And then she would stand up right where she was.  She never took off running or anything, but she sure was "getting her sea legs under her," as my Dad would surely say.  We can't wait to see her take off.

 

School went very calmly today.  After lunch I asked the high schoolers to do me a favor.  That's usually the time when they lose control, if they do.  I just gave them specific places to be during that period and asked them to go there.  And they did.  It was the quietest they had been all day.

 

Before she left for the day our English teacher brought me a little blue pill she found on o bookshelf in her room.  She was worried that one of the kids might be taking something they shouldn't.  I called Chris and we both went online to try to find it.  We finally discovered the same letter, but the number didn't match.  The thing was, though, every one of the drugs with that letter was an anti-depressant.  We decided we would take it to our pharmacist and ask her.  I almost forgot to ask when I went in to pick up my own prescription.  After her first look she said she was worried that it could be something very bad.  She fired up her computer and started typing as fast as she could.  Well, she started typing a lot faster than I could.  And she got a hit.  And she chuckled and said, "Well, that's not what I expected."  She made me a printout and broke the news to me, "It's not at all what I expected, but there is no doubt about it.  Here it is.  It is …"  Yep, she actually paused for dramatic effect.  "It is a cholesterol drug."  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  I finally said, "Well, I guess that's good considering the alternative." 

 

James 3:1 says, "Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly."

 

Father, I need to hear that verse every so often.  Makes me appreciate the importance of your calling.  If it's not a calling, I don't want to spend too much time there.  Amen.


No comments: