Thursday, October 8, 2009

October 8 – “Like Jesus”

 

What an interesting day.  It started off with our science teacher emailing that he wouldn't be there for the next few days, and maybe longer than that.  We can usually cover for a day or two here and there, but this will definitely mean calling in some help.  We have one good possibility, but he is our stand by for whenever the volunteer math teacher gets a job and has to leave. 

 

As I was pondering the situation, I opened another email from our two-day-a-week secretary.  She wanted to know if she could possibly work more than two days a week.  She offered to teach a personal finance class or help with electives or study halls.  I asked what she thought about science.  At least as a sub for a day.  She'll be there tomorrow and we'll fill in the blanks after that.

 

One of our students approached me today about getting a transcript so he could enroll at Ball High and play soccer.  I would sure hate to lose him.  He's one of our two seniors and definitely an asset.  Not long after I talked to him, a mom came in to ask about enrolling her daughter, a freshman at Ball High.  They haven't been in town long, but the girl already is very uncomfortable.  If all works out she will begin Monday morning.

 

I was stopped in my tracks by another of the students.  He asked me how I could treat everyone nice.  He said he couldn't do that because he hated pretty much everybody.  He said, "I want to be like you."  I asked, "Why in the world would you want to be like me?"  His answer is what slapped me in the face.  "Because you're like Jesus."  Ouch.  I sure don't think so.  What a heads up on those old clichés, "Watch your behavior because someone else is, too."  And "You're the only Jesus some people will ever see."

 

Home group is tonight and it's my turn to go to Jachin's soccer game. 

 

Colossians 3:2 says, "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."

 

Father, help me focus on those things above.  I want to live outside the boat, and it sure gets stormy.  Amen.


No comments: