Thursday, October 22, 2009

October 22 – “Name on the board”

 

I finally got a call from the PE teacher today.  She is not going to be able to teach regularly any more, if at all.  Several changes have occurred at her workplace that makes her presence more required than it was before.  Now I need to come up with some kind of weekly format for PE.  Today I led a fun time of youth fellowship games organized around school topics.  We had vocabulary word games and grammar (mad libs) and trivia and even a little math mixed with spelling.  They seemed to have a good time, and the period went by really fast.

 

After school I sat in on a parent – teacher conference for a kindergartener.  He is one of the sweetest kids around – very lovable.  His parents just wanted to make sure he was getting positive reinforcement along with the proverbial "name on the board and checks after it" record.  I think they came to a good resolution.  Now we need to watch it and see how everything goes.

 

I got an email from the school board member in charge of setting up interviews with prospective headmaster candidates.  We have an interview on Saturday morning at IHOP with the guy who came by the school the other day.  I can't wait to see what the rest of the team thinks of him.  Our math teacher had a good interview with a company in Houston, so he may be leaving soon.  Along with this headmaster candidate, we do have a few who have mentioned math as an area of interest this time.  I think we'll be OK. 

 

Home group is beginning to heat up.  Tonight we had a discussion about death and death customs that we have experienced.  We found out who wants to be cremated and who is creeped out at the thought, who wants to donate their body to science and who wants to be buried where something else can grow as a result of their decay.  It was all based on the passage in Philippians where Paul says to him to die would be gain.

 

Tomorrow morning we head up to Houston to pick up my new hearing aids (plural!) and Mom's repaired one.  One of the students today found out where I was going and said, "You mean, you're going to be able to hear us now?"  Hmm.  Maybe not such a good thing after all.

 

Philippians 1:21 says, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

 

Father, I get the "to die is gain" part.  I'm not sure I feel good about the "to live is Christ" part.  I need some help there.  Amen.


No comments: