Tuesday, October 20, 2009

October 20 – “Be Quiet”

 

We had an interesting evening..  I worked on the sermon last night until around eleven.  As I was closing up the house and getting ready for bed, I noticed out the front window an unusual flickering of light.  I opened the door and saw that a car's headlights were pointed in our direction and were not moving.  And that flickering light appeared to be a person with a flashlight walking around in our neighbor's yard (The condemned house).  As I leaned around the corner I heard a lady's voice, "Can I help you?"  I responded rather quickly, "I was just coming outside to ask you the same question."  She entered into the light where I could see her.  She was a police officer.  She said our neighbor's front door was open and she had just gone inside to check it out.  I told her the house was abandoned and if anyone was inside, they were probably dead by now.  She immediately radioed that whoever was coming to back her up could forget it.  As she left she told me, "You're being a good neighbor, watching out for their house like that."  I told her she was doing a great job as well.  Nice way to head for bed, all safe and cozy.

 

I had a first today at school..  A four-year-old was brought to the principal's office for time out.  He crawled up in one of the chairs in my office and as soon as the teacher left he started talking.  He didn't stop for twenty minutes.  He told me in a progressively louder and louder voice that what he had said that got him in trouble was, "Be quiet.  Be quiet!  BE QUIET!"  By that last one he was screaming.  It was all I could do to keep from laughing.  He agreed that he was not the one to say "Be quiet."  He promised to tell his teacher he was sorry and to say "Yes, Ma'am," when she asked him to do something.

 

On my way to school I prayed the prayer I have been praying for weeks now, "Lord, please send us a headmaster."  Not long after the four-year-old incident, the high schoolers came and told me there was a man out on the porch.  I went outside and greeted him.  He said he was working as an assistant pastor at one of the local churches, and lived in one of the subdivisions near Seaside.  He had seen the ad in the paper and wanted to stop by and see if this might be a place God might want him to work.  We talked for awhile, and he revealed his interest.  He moved here from Colorado where he had been … headmaster at a Christian school.  Not only that, he also taught math.  The two things we need.  Imagine that.  He came in and we talked for a long time.  I introduced him around, and gave him a quick tour.  He took an application and said he would return it tomorrow.  Could this be an answer to prayer?  Maybe. 

 

Josh and Christi and Zakary and Caleb came in tonight.  They will just be here tomorrow, but it will be good to see them for however long they can be here.  Christina brought her boys over, and Nathan and April and Cailyn came, too.  It was "Cousin Heaven" here for a few hours. 

 

2 Peter 3:13 says, "But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness."

 

Father, if your new heaven is anything like the joy I saw on the faces of the cousins tonight, I sure am looking forward to it.  Amen.


No comments: