Friday, October 2, 2009

October 2 – “a quiet day …”

What a quiet day at Seaside.  Several of the students and one teacher were out for one reason or another.  The other teachers all had either tests scheduled or major reviews for tests on Monday.  That made for quite a somber mood from the start.  Even Subway Friday didn't get them quite as stirred up as usual.  Maybe this was a preview of great things to come.

 

Chris came up as a community helper and spoke to the kindergarten kids.  She showed them her nurse stethoscope and wrapped some gauze around their arms.  Sounded like great fun.  I'm supposed to go in one Friday this month, too.  I'm not sure I can compete, though. And I don't know if I'm supposed to be a pastor or a headmaster in there.    Come to think of it, I'm not sure of that out here, either.

 

It took Chris and me two hours after school to get the church cleaned and set up for Sunday.  And that was after the high school students did a really good job of helping out.  I think it was because we knew there wasn't another group scheduled to come in that evening that we had to hurry for.  I know I try to do just a little more when nothing is pressing.  I think Chris tries to do that every week.

 

We found a pill at school this week.  It had some distinctive marks on it, so Chris and I started looking for it online.  We couldn't find the exact match, and everything that was close pointed to some kind of anti-depressant.  Certainly not something a student should have access to.  To make sure I took it to our pharmacist.  Her first impression was that it was not good.  But she looked it up anyway.  After a few minutes on the computer she chuckled and said, "Well, I'll be.  That's not what I expected."  By her demeanor I gathered that it was not some secret street drug that was going to have me addicted just by touching it.  And then she dropped the bombshell, "It's a cholesterol medication."  Well, that was a relief.  No sudden heart attacks for Seaside students.

 

Micah and Jachin and their parents came over tonight to just hang out.  We ordered pizza and played a few games.  Nathan and April brought Cailyn over, too.  They were going bowling.  The cousins were pretty funny to watch.  Cailyn was not sure what to do with all the noise, but she was fascinated by the action.  My favorite part of the evening was when the three little ones "played" twister.  Cailyn got right in there with the boys, at least for awhile.  When they left she was asleep within minutes.

 

Colossians 1:6 says, "All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God's grace in all its truth."

 

Father, thank you for my kids.  And for their kids.  Amen.


No comments: