Friday, October 30, 2009

October 30 – “Smecca Street”

 

 

It's 9:30 and I finally think I can stop and take a breath.  Chris is rocking Cailyn back to sleep and she is doing some serious flirting with her DadDad.  Of course I am ignoring her completely.  Well, maybe not completely.  Well, maybe not at all.  Hey, I haven't been here to play with her.  I have to make up for lost time.  Besides, who ever heard of going to bed on time at Nana and DadDad's house?

 

We had to hit the ground running to get the church cleaned after school today.  I had a wedding rehearsal this afternoon.  The wedding is to be held on the beach, but since it was cold today, I invited them to have the rehearsal inside.  They jumped at the chance after we walked down to the beach to check out the wedding site. 

 

I went over the ceremony a few times, and asked if anyone had any questions.  Everybody seemed ready to go, so we finished up and started milling around, waiting for someone to be the first one to actually leave.  The ring bearer came up to me (I think he's about six years old) and said, "I took notes."  He held up one of our visitor cards with writing on it.  "I know where to go now."  Sure enough, scrawled in his own handwriting was this message, "Go stand by the guys."  At least one of us will know where to go tomorrow. 

 

I heard the groom ask the best man if he knew where the dinner was.  "Sure," was the reply, "It's at Mario's on Smecca Street.  I snickered.  The restaurant was Mario's, but it was on Seawall Boulevard.  So where did he get Smecca?  That's the name of the guy who owns the place.  The meal was great.  The family was a lot of fun, too.  The wedding should be fun tomorrow. 

 

The ride home was interesting as well.  There were motorcycles everywhere.  This weekend is the big Biker Rally in Galveston.  I got behind one lone guy who decided he was going to drive between 25 and 30 down the seawall.  I couldn't pass him, so I settled in for the duration.  One stop light I noticed the back of his jacket.  It said Cho Unltd.  I have no idea what that means, but I wasn't about to make him mad, lest an unlimited number of Chos jump out and beat me to a pulp.  Not long after he moved over and I continued on, I had to slow down again.  There was a horde of bikers at the Spot watching each other spin around in circles on their machines.  As if that wasn't distracting enough, all of a sudden a guy who appeared to be drunk darted out of the crowd right in front of me.  I saw him in plenty of time to stop, but the car coming in the other direction slammed on his brakes, almost hitting the guy.  I was really happy to get home.

 

1 Timothy 6:6 says, "But godliness with contentment is great gain."

 

Father, I want to be content.  Help me to be godly.  Amen.


No comments: