Monday, October 26, 2009

October 26 – “Mick”

 

Our new headmaster, Mick, came by today to fill out all his paperwork for the secretary.  He won't start until November ninth, but he plans to come by a few times between now and then so I can show him the computer files and give him an idea about how we have done things up to now.

 

I introduced the "fill-in" curriculum for our PE class today.  I'm going to teach the "How to Watch a Movie with a Christian World View" class that I did a few years ago at Seaside.  The kids were pretty wound up today, so I have no idea how it's going to go.  We will watch Bruce Almighty first..  The idea is to watch some of it, then stop it and discuss how it relates to a world view that assumes there is a God.  Next I will make them watch the old John Denver and George Burns movie, "Oh, God!"  I can't wait to see how they compare the two.

 

It started pouring down rain this morning and hasn't stopped for very long since.  That ordinarily wouldn't be such a bad thing, but with my new bionic ears, I could hear every drop that hit the roof.  And the window.  And the cars as they drove past.  I could hear the feet of the students as they shuffled past my door.  I could hear the creaking of the chairs as they groaned under the weight of students rocking back in them.  Okay.  I understand that I am supposed to get acclimated to these things before I get access to the volume control, but it's a loud world out there.  There were several times today when I longed for my world of peace and quiet.  But I kept them in.  Except the one time when I let one of the girls hold it up to her ear and listen.  She was astounded.  And the kids actually quieted down after I explained how loud everything sounded to me.

 

I waded to WalMart to pick up some coffee filters and small cups for church.  I also had a key made for Mick.  Of course I had to walk right past the cheap movie section, too.  I found a collection of old Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton silent movies.  I had to get that because one of the assignments in the speech self-paced class is to watch a silent movie.  The other two I got were not so noble, but I'll think of some reason to explain their purchase before Chris gets back from Bay City.  Mom wants to go back to WalMart again to get some thread, so I guess I'll be wading again soon.

 

John 8:7 says, "When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, 'If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her..'"

 

Father, give me your heart when I get frustrated at school and church and …well, when I get frustrated.  Amen.


No comments: